Año Nuevo

..

Ruby was out of the hospital, Cesar got jumped out of the gang, and Jamal still was MIA. All the Santos' left for Cesar was bruises, and a sprained wrist. Ruby's parents weren't really allowing Cesar around, niether was Oscar. For Cesar, I decided to talk to Oscar for him.

I went to his house and saw him outside on the porch smoking a cigarette.

"Spooky, yo." I shouted from the sidewalk

"Layla, how's-" he asked but got cut off

I knocked over the table infront of him.

"Hey! Take it easy." he shouted

"Don't fucking tell me how to take it." I replied, "You want me to take it easy, maybe you should take back Cesar."

"Not gonna happen." he said

"Come on, hermano." I said calmly, "You know me."

"Layla, I knew your father more than you ever will." he said, "Of course I know you."

"Where is my dad.." I said not even considering it a question but more of a command

"Layla, get off my property." he said

"Where's my father?" I shouted

"Get moving!" he shouted even louder

I walked closer to him.

"Oscar, you may have known my father, but you sure as hell don't know yourself." I snapped, "All of this, is all your bullshit."

"Layla, go home." he said

"You call yourself Spooky, but you don't mean shit." I insulted

"You think you're hard, Layla?" he said, "Just because you're an ex-Santo? You're no one. Nothing."

"Alright, Spooky." I said

"You're afraid." he said

"Atleast I know who I am, Jerk." I said

I turned around to some tall man behind me.

"Who the hell are you?" I said

"Oscar is right." the man said, "He knew me more than you did."

My jaw dropped. I picked up a beercan from the floor and threw it at him.

"Screw you." I said

"Layla, my baby girl." he said, "I wanted to call, but I couldn't."

"You couldn't because you were busy being a what a Santo is." I shouted, "A wannabe-hard asshole that choses gangs over familia!"

I looked at Oscar. He put his head down and nodded.

"Mija.." he said

I turned my attention back to him

"I would've called, but I didn't want to hurt you." he said

"I don't know you." I said

"I heard your friends got shot." he said changing the subject

"Well, it's good to know you care about someone other than yourself." I scoffed, "Some good role model you are."

"Layla, you are stingey sometimes." Sad Eyez said

"Shut up, perro." I turned to him

"Mija, I was here all this time." he said

"Yeah, sure you were!" I said, "Matter of fact, I bet you were there to see me almost get capped at a fucking quinceañera!"

"I heard, Mija." he said, "Shits messed up."

"Don't fucking call me that!" I shouted fighting tears

"Layla, I want you in my life." he said, "Give me a chance."

"Fuck you." I said

I started to walk away.

"Of course you would leave, Layla." Oscar shouted

I paused for a moment. I turned around along with my attention to Oscar. I walked towards him. I picked up beercans and threw them at him.

"This. This!.. is the life you chose. Come on, hermano. Don't play pretend and act like you'd forgive Ray. Don't fucking do that to me, Oscar!" I yelled, "You had a shithead father, too, and you know it! You don't even forgive your little brother for wanting to live the life you never will!"

"Layla.." my dad says

"Don't." I put my hand in his face

I walked home, thinking about what I just did. Confronting Oscar felt real nice.