Chapter Twenty-One: Dinner and a Show

Start from the beginning

The dais where the high table sat had also gone through a mini-makeover. The simple wooden table used by Eric and his elite guard was gone. In its place stood a sleek, jet black dining table that appeared to be made out of the same material as the weapons she'd seen in the armory. High backed, heavy looking chairs were set up on both sides of the new table, while an ornate throne-like chair was placed at the head. It reminded her of something she'd seen on cable, not so much Game of Thrones but rather the ridiculously ornate table out of Legend. It was this sort of seat Eric currently occupied and even she had to admit he was an immortal warrior that made it look good.

As usual, everyone was already seated and Lori and Des were the last to arrive.

"Why are we always the last ones for dinner?" she complained under her breath as they made their way to the others.

"Because anyone this hot always makes an entrance," Des answered cockily.

She looked a little taken aback before smiling up at him, "You think I'm hot?"

He snorted, sounding haughty and incredulous at the same time, "No dear. I was talking about moi."

"Whatever." Lori rolled her eyes. She ignored the looks the wolves seated at the high table threw their way as they came forward. Des was impossible on a good day, but the way the female population at Wolfgard reacted to him just made him a thousand times worse. If he got any more swagger in his walk he'd look like a pirate strutting around on deck.

Eric turned to face them as they approached the bottom of the dais. As one, Des and Lori bowed before him, staying on their knees as they waited for Lord McKenna to address them.

Everyone was showing fealty tonight.

Eric nodded once, allowing them to rise and join him at the high table. As they walked to their seats, Aiden and the elite guard stood respectfully. Lori saw that they were all seated on the same side as her, on Eric's right. Directly across from her on Eric's left sat Randor and the some of his men.

Aiden gave the wolves a disgusted look, "When a lady approaches the table, you stand, wolf."

"That is not the way of the Fenrir," Randor replied coolly.

"We are not in Fenrir. This is Wolfgard and you will show my honored guests respect," Eric commanded, though Lori noted he remained seated. She imagined as king, Eric didn't have to stand for anyone, except perhaps his queen.

Randor and his men stood as one.

This was going to be a pleasant evening Lori thought more than a little nervous as she nodded to Randor and his men before taking her seat. Des pushed her chair in a little and once she was settled in everyone followed suit.

"My lady, you look stunning this evenin'," Eric complimented, his eyes sweeping her entire form. Lori felt that smoldering gaze across every inch of exposed skin and she felt butterflies the size of vampire bats take off in her stomach again.

Good gracious, this was going to be a long dinner she thought, wishing she could fan herself like a sinner inside a church. Too bad her outfit didn't come with one.

Des had decided on a strapless gold number for her tonight. The bodice wrapped around her tightly in several layers, while the full skirt had several gauzy under layers that varied in alternating shades of metallic, ranging from the palest silver to the purest gold on top. Her hair had been plaited intricately with gold colored ribbons weaved throughout each braid, before being gathered into a pretty crown on top of her head. The ribbons had been left loose and flowing over her bare shoulders, while over her décolletage hints of gold glittered on her skin.