45: Menarche.

Depuis le début

I put on the best shirt I owned. But I was doused back to reality cruelly.

My mouth fell open as we entered the party hall, it was huge. It was crowded with people milling about, my best shirt was the shabbiest of them all. I only came in second place in the shabbiness contest because my sister beat me to first place.

Ananya stood regally like a princess. Can she look any more beautiful? And the imbecile whose name I learned was Sai, was by her side.

"Don't they look lovely together," my mom gushed.

"Are they engaged or something?"

"Not that I know of, but why wouldn't she marry Sai. His father owns the SA Hospital."

My heart sank, I knew the imbecile was rich but he owns SA hospital! It was not one but a chain of hospitals.

The gifts her maamaa had given were on display. They ranged from diamond jewelry to silver vessels and the latest electronic gadgets. Suddenly my gift felt completely worthless, why would Ananya need a crap like this. The desire to fling it was overwhelming.

Instead of joining the line of guests waiting to greet her, we moved to the dining area. When we finally went up the stage to meet her it was noon.

"Senthil prepared a gift for you," my mother said. The truth was my mother couldn't afford to buy her one.

Ananya looked at me expectantly. I held out the gift with great embarrassment.

"Thank you," she smiled at me, my heart melted. She carefully added mine to the mountain of gifts behind her.

I was one of the workers who helped transfer the gifts from the party hall to paati's house. Ananya and the imbecile sat unwrapping the presents.

To my indignation the imbecile opened my gift, "Look at this," he said in a scathing tone.

"Give it to me," Ananya examined it with interest.

"This is the cheapest gift you have got so far."

"It's not about the price Sai, it's the thought that matters. In contrast to jewelry and silver, this one I could practically use every day."

She quickly opened a bindi that matched her top and kept it. My heart swelled with joy, she didn't think my gift was stupid.

"Really?" he drooled.

"And I noticed you haven't got me anything."

"Who says I haven't?"

"If you had given me anything I might remember."

"Like you remembering handing over your bag to the poor driver, but you left it back?"

"I know it's you who switched my bag, why else would I end up getting Shivani's oversized clothes!"

"So you are calling Shivani fat?"

"Don't change the topic, now where is my gift?"

"Wait." He left.

"Shifting is completed," I told her, just to get a chance to talk to her.

"Thanks," she smiled again. She hesitated before asking, "Can you help me unwrap? Or do you have some other work?"

I had other work, but anything to be with her a bit longer.

"If it's vessels or silver items place it over there, any other thing you think I will use, hand it to me."

I nodded and sat down.

"I am sorry but I don't remember your name?"

"Senthil."

"Senthil," she repeated.

The warmth that her presence brought in me now raged into an inferno. I liked her saying my name. My head kept playing her words, Senthil; Senthil; Senthil.

I couldn't keep the broad smile from spreading across my face, it was a lucky day indeed.

The imbecile re-emerged to hand his gift to Ananya. She eyed him suspiciously as he said, "Open it in private."

She paid no heed to his words and opened it immediately.

"Sai Ganesh!" she scolded.

"I thought you liked practical gifts, what can be more practical than tampons for menarche?"

She threw the pack in his face, "You can have your practical gift yourself."

"I am a man Anu, I don't have any use for it."

"Oh my god! Is it true? I never noticed."

"I will show you how manly I am," he said and loomed over her.

I stood up to thrash him. Ananya overtook my reactions, punching him in the gut saying, "Shine your divine manliness elsewhere."