45: Menarche.

I can't wait to meet my angel again. I walked with a spring towards paati's house, but when I reached it, there was another car parked and it looked just as expensive.

Cloth canopy was erected and the whole house was decorated. Confusedly I went around the house and reached the backdoor. I cut a tender coconut and transferred the contents to a cup. I headed inside through the kitchen eager to see her.

Ananya was lying on a sofa with her head on a guy's lap. I hated him immediately, he reeked of money. He was rubbing her back. She looked ill.

"Are you unwell? What happened?" I asked urgently.

Her cheeks turned pink as she said, "Just stomach ache."

I felt my chest relax a bit as she sat up, away from the reach of the infernal guy. She accepted the tender coconut water with a murmured thanks.

"Can I get some more?" she asked after draining the cup I gave her.

I quickly cut her another one and handed it to her.

"Thanks, this is making me feel far better."

I couldn't help but smirk at the imbecile.

"Come let's head to our room I am tired and you should rest too" said the imbecile.

I bristled as he threw his arms over Ananya's shoulder and steered her upstairs. He gave me a boy-you-are-not-worth-my-time look as he departed.

My head was pounding, and I wanted to pound the imbecile into pulp.

"Who is that paati?" I asked as paati strolled into the kitchen.

"Who?"

"The new guest."

"It's Ananya's maamaa's family," she said, with a distaste matching mine.

The tone was not missed by Ananya's mother as she said, "I hope you forgive my brother."

"He never properly apologized," saying that paati left.

"You are Senthil right?" Ananya's mother asked.

"Yes... aunty," I said hesitantly.

"Can you ask your mother to drop by sometime today?"

"She has gone out of town for work, she will be back only by night. If it's any work I will be happy to help."

Ananya's mother smiled at me sweetly and said, "No, it's not for work. I want to invite her to the function."

"I will convey, you don't have to trouble yourself."

"It's no trouble, I wish I could come and invite in person. As I am a widow, villagers don't take it kindly if I invite them. So I am inviting everyone home, so paati can invite them instead."

"Should I give her any details about the function?"

"Oh! I never mentioned that right. Ananya has attained her age, we have arranged for a bus to start from here to the party hall by 8 AM. You and your sister should come too."

The blush, the stomach ache, it all made sense. I felt my cheeks grow hot. I contemplated the whole day about what I should gift her. I had but 30 rupees I have managed to save so far.

At the gift shop the salesperson pulled out a makeup box with multiple compartments each loaded with several items. The only thing I understood was lipstick, everything else made no sense. What the hell was a blush? Don't girls blush naturally? It looked like watercolor.

Does my Ananya even use these items? Then my eyes fell on the color bindi. It was simple and I was sure Ananya would find it useful. It cost 25 rupees. I spent 2 more rupees buying a gift wrapper.