Eighteen | Haunted House 2.0

Start from the beginning

Speaking of the boy... "I thought you said you wouldn't get lost?" Dakota says, sitting down next to me.

"I know where I am so I don't think that counts as getting lost," I respond. The little boy who was sitting across from me spotted Dakota and started waving to him. Dakota waves back and the kid tries to get off the hay bale but his mom catches him in time.

His mom looks at us and realizes why the kid wants to come over. He sees Dakota as friendly and approachable. How cute.

I changed my mind. I am now certain it is because he saw another fellow curly head.

Hey, I have curly hair too. Why didn't he wave to me?

"Can you fix?" The boy asks as he points to his hair. Dakota uncertainly looks at the mom who has her hands full with two other kids. Dakota twists the boy's hair out of his eyes and the kid claps. "Thank you."

Oh, now he is trying to sit in between us. Cool. I move over a bit to give him some space and he sits there in his adorable fall overall outfit. "Me no likey my shirt."

"I think it looks nice," Dakota replies to the boy. "What about you Nyla?"

"I love it too," I say honestly. Kid's outfits are so cute that it is hard to mess up an outfit. Everything already comes in its matching sets making shopping easier.

"Me Levi. You Nywa, and you?" He turns to D.

"Dakota." He responds slowly so the kid can get the pronunciation.

"Nywa, Levi, and Dakowa!" He is a talkative little one. At least he isn't shy and is sociable with others. He stands up and goes back to his mom and tells her our names. I can't get over how cute Dakota's name was said.

"He reminds me of you," I say to Dakota.

He stands up, offering me a hand. "I guess it was the curly-headedness that bonded us." Levi waves us bye and follows next to his mom to their next activity. "Haunted House time," Dakota says, talking my hand, leading me in that direction.

"D, are the creepy characters out yet?"

"Oh shit, I forgot about them." He says, putting his arm around my shoulder when he sees one approaching. I act like I am not paying attention and we pass them smoothly.

The line for the house isn't as long as it was earlier. But the characters inside definitely doubled in numbers. "I hate these things with a passion."

"I thought you liked them?"

"Keyword: liked."

When it's our turn to follow the people in front of us, everything goes smoothly until we hit the middle of the house. The characters are making me jump out of my skin and I am looking for the spot Anneliese told us to go to.

It is an empty area to help take a break from all of the scares. When I finally find it I can take a few breaths knowing I am free of the jump scares for a few minutes.

"Do you still like it?"

"I think I despise them now," I answer, letting my hands fall to my sides.

As if I couldn't get enough scares in one night, this next one made me scream louder than everything I have been through. I swear my heart almost leaped out of my own chest when Delaney and Atlas appear from behind the dark curtains.

"You guys planned this!"

"Boo?" Atlas says seconds too late.

Delaney facepalms herself at Atlas' stupidity then smiles out of achievement. "When mom comes back I am giving her a massive hug."