"Yes, I've thought about that too...". Reiner now looked at you wide-eyed. "It wasn't until I stared into the desperate and betrayed eyes of our friends, screaming and calling us fraternizers, that I really understood what Bertholdt meant that day you captured Eren... That someone has to be the ones to stain their hands with blood... It couldn't have been easy for the three of you, forced into such conflicting predicaments", you admitted, with your head hung low. Reiner took in every word you two said before inhaling deeply.

"My... My sins are beyond redemption. I doubt I'll ever forgive myself for what I did.. Even if I manage to save what's left of humanity...". Reiner looked up from his hand, a more confident expression replacing his hurt one. He took a step forward, reaching out to place one hand on each of yours and Connie's shoulder, immediately grabbing both of yours' attention. "So... well... Let's at least save the rest of humanity".

You blinked up at him, almost like you could physically see the stamp reading 'traitor' that you labelled him with all those years ago, peel off to reveal the face of the man you cared for as a brother.

"Yeah", you smiled slightly, with a sheepish sigh.

"You're right. Even if we can't be redeemed, we've still got to do this I guess", Connie said with a sheepish smile, placing his hand atop Reiner's. Reiner didn't say much, but you could see how much he appreciated it.

"That's right". Jean speaking up again had Reiner remove his hands from you as he looked over at him expectantly. He still didn't properly know how to act around him, feeling like he had to walk on eggshells whenever Jean was close by. "We're the same... Reiner", Jean looked up at him. "I never had any right to blame you for anything. I became a murderer in order to save others, same as you". Reiner seemed even more perplexed by Jean's statement, before his face sunk once again.

"Yeah... Eren told me the same thing... the night of the raid on Liberio", Reiner started saying lowly. "I... I feel like I kind of understand what Eren's thinking. Eren... might want us to stop him, no?", he kind of asked you. You furrowed your brows at him.

"What do you mean?"

"Eh... That's just how it feels to me", he said, not much to back up his theory.

"I've always wondered about something...", Armin spoke up for the first time after quietly listening in on your conversation for a while. "Eren is able to affect the actions of every titan and Eldian, but we're still able to use the power of the titans the way we always could..."

"Are you saying that Eren is choosing not to interfere with us?", Pieck asked him intrigued.

"Yes. He's letting us act freely. Almost as if he's testing us to see what we'll do". This was an entirely new thing to wrap your head around, and you desperately tried to reach for an explanation as to why he'd do that.

"Why? Even though we might be able to stop the rumbling?", Mikasa asked your internal question out loud.

"It's the same for him.... It has to be painful for him too. Slaughtering all of humanity isn't something you can just endure. If it was me... I'd probably want someone else to handle the power of the Founder by now. And if I couldn't... I'd want to be stopped. By someone...", Reiner thought out loud, looking over at Mikasa, who seemed to be confused as to why he looked at her specifically.

You opened your mouth as to comment on something, when that distinct, gruelling headache had you all reach for your heads with unitized groans.

As your eyes fluttered open, you found yourself back in that strange place, a sea of sand beneath your feet, with that ginormous glowing tree, shining its blue-ish light upon you from the distance.