Chapter 22

Elena Parker POV: 

It felt as if my heart stopped beating for an eternity. Time slowed and I couldn't comprehend what I witnessed. He was kissing Julia, his brother's wife. My thighs tingled in burning, for the spilling of the hot liquor of coffee. 

My chest tightened in agony, and I hardly dragged my legs to move. Leaving the room, I couldn't catch my breath. I don't have the right to question anything, he is willing to do whatever he wants. But why it feels deceiving to me? 

He is a free man, as I'm a free woman. I don't have the right to judge or even get angry, it's not that we are involved together in a serious relationship. But all of the things that I'm trying to convince myself with, don't seem to ease the pain in my chest. 

On the contrary, it made me realize that Adam eventually will be with someone after the end of our agreement. 

I stood at the end of the hallway lost in my thoughts. Nurses passed by casting a look on my ruined dress, one with a tray and another with a stack of papers. The smell of detergents filling my nostrils, made me sick. I just can't handle staying at this place. 

Passing the front desk, I marched to the entrance of the ER to leave. 

"Elena, wait," his voice came behind my back. I stilled in my track and hesitantly turned around. Adam was panting barely catching his breaths. 

A shadow of tiredness was cast on his face. My eyes met his and I tried to smile, acting normal, "Yes." 

He gazed at me in weariness, scanning my features trying to read me. His eyebrows furrowed, "It's not what it looks like." 

"Adam, You don't need to justify your actions to me," I shook my head smiling sadly. His eyebrows shot in amusement as he listened. My smile doesn't weaver while I added, "I wouldn't judge you if you are aware of that." 

He steps forward closing the distance between us, clasping my arms in his hands catching me off guard. He shook his head in alert, "Don't." 

"Don't, what?" I asked cluelessly tiling my head.

Adam's hands seemed to pressure my arms, and I looked at him questionably. His expression shifted to fury, he was mad. 

"Don't act like it doesn't matter," he hissed gritting his teeth. My forehead creased in confusion, a serious one. Now, what he wants me to do? to weep? or act hysteric to show that it did indeed matter? 

"What do you want, Adam?" I questioned gazing at him in the eye, ignoring the pain in my arms. His irritation seems to increase by my words, "I want you to say something. I don't know! get mad or ask questions. Just don't act like you don't care!" 

"And why shall I do that?" I asked lowering my tone as if I'm asking it to my own self. This whole situation doesn't make any sense. Adam's grip loosened, his hands dropping by his side. A disappointed look masks his face. 

"Nevermind," he exclaimed coldly. I wandered my gaze to my arms, it was stained with red marks. He seemed to notice them too, and by that, his eyes soften. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to," he said apologetically, inspecting the marks. I shrugged my shoulders, "that's fine." 

"No it's not," he stated sharply, wiping his hand on his face in frustration. "Your dress is ruined," he added pointing a look to the brown patch that stained the dress. 

"Yeah," I nodded. 

"Did it burn?" he asked with concern. I chewed on my lips since I haven't paid attention to the burning sensation that runs on my thighs.