#30: End of the Line

Start from the beginning

"Like electricity?" He pressed and I nodded.

Escu opened the door and motioned me in and left Bucky in the hall. The room had a large x-ray machine. It was definitely an x-ray. However, it was as old as the building it sat in and had obviously seen better days. It was the kind of device a hospital probably got rid of, but a small rundown clinic would cherish.

The doctor positioned me in a chair and went into an adjoining room telling me not to move. I was 100% going to get radiation poisoning from this thing. There was no way this machine wasn't leaking it out. A few minutes later, he stepped back out with a film in his hands.

"Let us go to my office."

Escu opened the door to let me out and Bucky, who had been leaning against the opposite wall, shot up straight at the sight of us. I gave him a reassuring smile before the doctor led us down a few more doors and into the room. This room was larger and filled with light from the many windows. Off to the side was a messy desk, and on the other side were a few exam tables.

"See here." The doctor motioned me to come closer. He lifted the film up to the window so I could see it easily. My bones looked like bones, but there were two bright, glaring features on the film. One was my necklace and the other was the bullet. The bullet was right under the lateral aspect of my clavicle. "You are very lucky, girl."

"Debatable." I mumbled.

"Still, I cannot see muscle damage or if a nerve was damaged with an x-ray. Location wise it is possible."

I shook my head, "The nerve pain is new. Last night, I was fine. Could the bullet have shifted? And now it's just pressing down on one?"

Escu nodded, "Perhaps. I would recommend getting the bullet removed as quickly as you can."

"Can you do it? Here?" Bucky pressed and I assumed he spoke English for my sake.

"I can..." Dr. Escu looked skeptical. He shook his head, "It would be safer at a hospital. They could put her under, take the bullet out, check the structures, and debride any damaged tissue surgically."

Bucky clenched his jaw then nodded, "Alright. I'm taking you to a hospital—"

"Hold up!" I took a step away from him. "That seems like a bad idea."

"Didn't you hear him? You need to be put under for this. It's the safest option." Bucky shook his head. "I should've taken you last night immediately."

I turned on my heel to face Dr. Escu, "I want you to take the bullet out. Here."

"Miss, you should listen to your boyfriend."

"My boyfriend—" I didn't know if this was some sort of cover or if the guy was just assuming, but I ran with it regardless, "—is being a dumbass." I shot Bucky a look and he just glared at me in return. "Please, Dr. Escu?"

The doctor nodded once, "Let me prepare. Remove your sweater."

He walked out of the room to grab supplies and I began to struggle with the sweater I had on. Bucky sighed, dropping both our bags to the ground, and walked over to help me just like he had helped me put it on this morning.

"This is a bad idea." He hummed.

"You brought me here."

Bucky carefully pulled the sweater over my head leaving me in a bloody tank top. He shook his head, "Because I'm desperate, Aj." There was an awkward pause between us. He sighed and set my sweater down onto the bags, "This is my fault."