21 ✿ Worst Intentions | Emylawrence

Emylawrence

✿ first impression: title, cover and description (10/15)

title: not bad. i just feel it's kinda generic.

cover: not bad as well. has all the necessary elements, altho i'd say the bluish filter isn't nice.

blurb: it's great! just add free lines in between paragraphs please as it looks like one annoying block. also, maybe you can hint more at the climax? more teasing yk?

plot & chapters (20/20)

+ c1 is intriguing, and there's a hook right from the start. i appreciate the hook addition because wattpad books these days barely consider this and think people will stick by for... their marvellous writing maybe? i have no idea, but it was starting to disappoint me (i did it before too haha).

after i was done with c1, i was intrigued and looking forward to c2, which is a great indicator for a good story.

+ i found myself scrolling on and on smoothly without wanting to stop or feeling bored. the flow and pace were great (i'm this impatient type who likes to see them jump each other right away tho hehe), and the length of the chapters was the perfect one to make me feel accomplished for finishing a part.

+ the scene when she first introduces herself to trevor is interesting. i liked it. it flowed well without being cringy or cheesy. the guy's moves and reactions are natural and well-thought out by the writer. the descriptions drew a clear image of the scene in my head, and the characterisation added life to it.

+ the diner scene, meeting mila, brynn's anger, all was enjoyable and blended in to create a wonderful scene and mix of emotions. this is what i liked about the story most-- the emotions flow easily between the characters and aren't forced, and the readers can feel them too. great job.

+ the party scene had such a plot twist! i had many questions about that friends' group: whether liam will be a part of a love triangle, whether mila hides something about her identity, another possible triangle with jessa, or a rich girl poor girl scenario. whatever it was, it got me highly intrigued. celia's anxiety during it was relatable too.

when i read the blurb and got the first impression of this story, i prayed hard it won't be another typical teen fiction or boy next door type. my prayers were heard! it's a style and plot that i like to read, sprinkled with original ideas and amazing characters, but still holding this old familiarity of teen fiction stories that we love. i usually read 5 chapters to review, but i couldn't stop myself from reading more for this review.

✿ characters (20/20)

i loved celia's character, and the first-person pov expressed her character very well. she's a teen and acts like one: not too mature or too childish. the fact she draws adds depth to her character and makes me anticipate its effect on the storyline.

brynn was amazing too, probably my fave. she was the soul of the story with her jokes and inductions. she's realistic with her emotions most of the time, but i'd argue she acts older than her age a lot. i wasn't like her at eleven, even celia wasn't, but celia and i aren't everyone. i feel like teens these days develop fast eh.

the mother was mysterious and held the hook of the story in her hands. the dynamics between her and celia were interesting and realistic. any other teen with such a mum could relate to this toxic relationship. altho the tackling of the alcoholic parent then was efficient and showed celia genuinely cared for brynn, i still hope you don't make vivian alcoholic or centre the story around her or around this topic. just my preference as i think this is an overused theme to hang parental mistakes on.