Blowing smoke

A supernatural one-shot basically.

The morning crowd dragged slowly on. Old men with balding heads and crooked knuckles ate the early bird special and got by with a senior discount. It took all your might to keep from banging your head against the counter to stop the boredom.

"(Y/n)!" Abby yells to you. "Get table three for me!" You sighed and walked to table farthest from you. A man sat there, alone. He had long shaggy hair and wore plaid. The fifteen layers that covered him must have been hot in the July sun.

"What can I get you to drink, Hun?" He jumped at the sound of your voice.

"Uh, water will be great. And my brother'll have-"

"Water for me also," a deep voice comes in. The owner of the words slid into the seat across from his partner.

"Okay, you guys ready to order?" The pad rested in your pocket, yet you didn't need it. You could always remember orders.

"A cheeseburger for me with fries. My brother here doesn't want anything." The man's brother smiles back at you. It was a little bit suspicious, yet dodgy characters came all the time and you never cast a second glance.

"Coming right up. Al! A cheeseburger with fries!" you yell as you walk back to the counter. You can't help but glance toward the men once more. Their audible whispers would carry over to the counter, yet you couldn't read what they were saying. It was all jibber-jabber.

--------

It was your turn to lock up. Every Tuesday you have to clean, make sure the cameras are on, and then lock the restaurant up. It was routine.

Everything was dark as you wipe the tables. The light overhead flickered, but didn't provide much help. All you could think about was home. You just wanted to go home. Instead, you have to work at this ass-restaurant in this ass-town.

Thoughts roll over in over in your head when the back door creaks open. An unmistakable sound that you recognized in a flash. "Are you sure she's still here?" an angry whisper floats toward you.

"Hello? Who's there?" you quiver. Two figures stand in the kitchen doorway. The shorter one steps out and it's the man who order the burger from today.

"Okay. Listen to me. You are going to be under attack in about five minutes and we are here to stop it," the man explains. "I'm Dean Winchester and this is my brother Sam." Sam steps out where you can see him.

"Attacked by who?"

"A monster. You know those deaths that are weird, well, it's causing them. You're next. We are here to kill it."

A monster. Everything after those simple words were irrelevant. Monsters were real in that single moment and all that mattered is that you knew it.

Before you can finish thinking, you pick his words up again. That's when you feel the vibrations. "GO!" Dean shouts at you. You'd love to leave, but your feet are glued to the spot. As you stare in fear at Dean, you are pushed back suddenly. It felt as if a thousand knives are slashing at you. You felt the blood pour out of you.

Yelling and the sound of glass smashing is all you can hear. That's all you hear until you black out.

----

"Are you alright?" Dean asks. Pain fills your whole torso. "You were hurt pretty bad. We patched you up."

You try to sit up. "Yeah I'm fine. Not the worst that's happened to me. Now help me off this counter. I need to leave before Abby comes in and sees all this." Dean picks you up and slides you to the floor.

Once your feet are safely on the ground, you place your hands on the counter. "Where's Sam?"

"In the back putting the first aid kit up." You both stood in awkward silence. "If you want to come with us, you can. We have a place. From what I understand, you have to leave now." He peered at the rumble at both your feet.

"No, but thanks for the offer."

"Of course. If you ever change your mind," he whipped a little piece of paper out, "here's our number. Just call." You accept it gratefully. "Now, we have to go. Now, remember, call."

You smiled and watched him walk out where the door once was to hop into a black car. A sigh escaped your lips as you lean against the wall. You looked at your own car and think about how you have to leave now. Abby would be showing anytime soon. With one pained step forward, you made your way through the once was building.

The sun hung low in the sky, just raising. Your car is a beacon, you have to make it. When you do, you felt the tiny bulge in your apron. The pack of cigarettes you've been saving called to you.

It's been months since you've put one in your mouth, but you were glad you brought one today. You lit one up. The intoxicating smell filled your nostrils. You grab your money bag and count your cash. 500 dollars was what you had then, but with one quick stop home, you'll have more and some clothes.

With that, you swear never to return to that godforsaken town. That was the moment that you started to run, and you've been running ever since. Killing monsters and saving people, and you an thank the Winchesters. You called them once, and you've seen them since then. That one night will live in your heart forever.