Home Again?

"Where the fudge are we?" I exclaimed, letting go of Shaade's hand and spinning in a circle. I vaguely recognised the place aside from the fact it was in darkness.

"I have no idea," Shaade replied.

"I do!" Rebecca cheered. "We're back home, out of that sketchbook!"

"How do you know?" Sophie asked.

"Did none of you notice? When we were in the sketchbook everything was mainly just one colour. Also, their outlines looked sketchy in places and if I rubbed an eraser on the table then the table would vanish."

"So that's how Miss Johnburn is able to see through tables," Sophie nodded. I laughed and shook my head at their stupidity. Shaade looked from one of us to the other in bewilderment. Rebecca explained how one supply teacher had said that she was able to see through tables after a note was passed beneath one.

"So what do we do now?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" Rebecca asked. "We go home, obviously."

"We don't know whereabouts in the world we are," Sophie pointed out.

"Or what to do about shadow-boy over here," I said, jerking my thumb at Shaade. He frowned and sat down on a log.

"Well," he said grumpily, "if nobody knows what to do then I'm staying here."

"Hey!" a voice shouted. "Are you kids okay?" A teenage girl climbed down from a tree and walked over. "You look a little lost, buddies."

"We're in America?" Sophie said, astounded. The girl nodded.

"Do you want me to take you to a hotel?" she asked. "There are hundreds in New York."

"We're in New York?!" Rebecca squealed.

"Yeah," the girl said, beginning to get a little worried. "Boy, you guys really are lost. Follow me. I'll take you to the police depo and-"

"Not the police, darlin'," Shaade drawled, perfectly imitating a Southern American (as in Texas, California...) accent. "We'll be fine so long as we get a place to stay the night. Can you do that for us, darlin'?"

"S... sure," the girl stammered, blushing. "Just follow me, pals." She lead the way out of the trees and into the stunning sights of New York City.

END (of book two!)