IV. Us

Written by Ava and Paige
Edited and published by byeoks (Summer )
©️All Rights Reserved
PLEASE VOTE

NOTE: Sorry for 2 short chapters! Next chapter will be longer, and we try to speed up our  uploading process. Enjoy!

Player 240

Number 067 had been gone for a few minutes now. I just hoped she hadn't run away and left me to pay the price. I had faith in her though, she seemed worthy of trust. I heard a bang on the bathroom door.
    "Hurry up!" A man hollered. I panicked.
    "One second, uh lady issues." I stuttered. She had to hurry.
    "You better not be lying!" He yelled again, continuing to bang on the door. My heart raced, I banged on the stall door as a way of arguing.
    "You have 20 seconds until I open the door!" He yelled. I trembled.
    "20, 19. . ." Suddenly, number 067 slid out of the vent. I gasped and handed her the vent. She screwed it on impressively quick. Right when she stepped out of the stall, he banged open the stall door. I sighed, noticing the sweat glistening on my forehead. I quickly wiped it off so that he wouldn't suspect anything. Number 067 walked out the door as he held it for us. I stopped about to ask but remembered the worker was there. I continued to follow her. Once he shut the door, leaving us alone to walk back down the corridor I asked,
    "067." She continued to walk. Was she angry at me? "Did I do something?" I asked. She quickly stopped.
    "No." She remained turned away from me. I pursed my lips, I began to grow irritated.
    "Well then, what happened?"
    "Nothing happened." She almost yelled. "Yet." She whispered. I grew confused. She continued to walk. I ran to try to catch up to her.
    "What do you mean yet?" I questioned. She suddenly turned around grabbing my shoulders. She then put me in a hug, I stiffened up, but relaxed.
    "Listen. . ." she whispered. "I know. . . what the next game is. If we're partners one of us will die."
    "Then we don't have to be partners," I whispered back. She pulled away.
    "That doesn't mean you'll still survive. If we end up playing against other people, we still have the risk of dying. And. . ." she began to tremble, "I don't want to lose you again." I swallowed, confused, but somehow understanding.
    "Hey. You won't lose me." I said. Her lips parted as if she was going to say something. She clamped them shut again. She opened them again,
    "Sae-Byeok."
    "What?"
    "That's my name. Kang Sae-Byeok."
    "Pretty," I said and I wasn't lying. She took a deep breath and reached out to embrace me again. I pulled her hand away.
    "We have to go." She nodded and wiped her face. "And my name. . . is Ji-Yeong."
    "I know," she said. And for some reason, I believed her. When we got back to the main room, it was almost lights out. People had already gathered their dinner and there was none left for us. I never ate much anyway and I watched her, she didn't either. I followed her back to the bunk. She laid down on her side and closed her eyes. I sat on the ground next to her, holding the metal rungs holding up her mattress.
    "Jeju island." She said, opening her eyes.
"Huh?"
"That's where I want to go. If we get out. . ."
"When we get out. . ." I corrected her, "we'll go to Jeju Island." I climbed on my white mattress and pulled the unwashed sheet over my body. There was a small blood splatter on the corner and it rotted.