~three~

Odette was seated in her Potions class listening to Slughorn drone on about the differences of crushed unicorn horn and powdered unicorn hoof. It was a particularly boring class, but Odette was looking at Severus' newly grayed skin, which a product of the curse she had shot at him. It was funny to watch him scratch furiously at his skin trying to remove it.

"Mr. Snape, is something wrong?" Slughorn asked. "You seem to be uncomfortable."

Snape grumbled something in response. Slughorn raised a grayed eyebrow, then looked to Odette.

"You made a spell?" he asked. "And it turned Mr. Snape to stone?"

All eyes in the classroom were turned to her.

"Yes," Odette said. "He should still be a statue, but Madame Pomfrey has some snake tears handy."

"Snake tears?"

Odette nodded. "She poured them into his eyes and he was turned back to normal. His skin should be gray for a few days though."

Slughorn nodded. "Remarkable. I've never met a student who's created a spell before."

"I've been told I'm rather smart," Odette reponded.

"You certainly are," he chuckled. "Perhaps instead of partnering you with Rabastian, you should be with someone more at your level. No offence, Mr. Lestrange."

Rabastian rolled his eyes.

"Partner up with Ms. Evans," he instructed. "Severus, you can sit with Rabastian."

Odette gathered her things and walked over to where Lily was seated. Snape glared at her and abruptly stood up, nearly knocking his chair over. He stomped over to Odette's old seat.

"Good!" Slughorn clapped his hands together once, then turned to the chalk scribbled on the chalkboard. "Draught of living death. A less officent alternative to the killing curse, and less illegeal."

Odette shifted uncomfortably in her seat. The mention of the unforgivable curses made her a tad uncomfortable, considering she had been tortured by one. A few other student seemed to share the same veiws as Odette did.

"We will not be brewing this in class, that is for the sixth years to do," Slughorn said. "We will only be discussing it. Ms. Black, do you know the ingredients?"

Odette nodded.

"Can you name some?"

"Wormwood, Valerian sprigs and sloth brain."

"Yes. And Ms. Evans, what color should it be when the potion is complete?"

"It should be a lilac, then turn clear."

"Correct! Excellent work!" Slughorn praised them. "Now, moving on to a potion that we will be brewing this year. Does anyone know what Vertiserum is?"

Severus raised his hand, and he was pointed at.

"It's a truth potion. Three drops and even You-Know-Who would spill his darkest secrets."

A few whispers circled the room at the mention of the recent threat. Stories of a few muggle deaths and recruits from dark wizards had been told, but nothing else. Some people even denied his existence. Unfortunately, Odette knew how very real he was. In fact, he was already recruiting Bella, who wanted nothing more than to join his army of death eaters. But Cygnus Black wouldn't let her until she was married.

"Severus. I'm going to have to ask you not to say that name in my classroom."

"Sorry Professor."

Slughorn's cheery personality seemed a bit dulled for the rest of the class, as if he was nervous. Odette knew that he had every right to be, but as a teacher he should have been hiding it. Perhaps Odette could give him some lessons on how to hide things. God knew that she was remarkable at it.