xxxi. the seas of fate

Start from the beginning

Randvi met Nina's eyes, seeing the hope shine from them. She knew Nina believed in her country, that she placed faith in what Grisha fought for, but she was also naive. Randvi didn't want to be the one to break her hope.

"I'm not, but thank you." She whispered.

"They're here,"

The girls of the Menagerie entered in a wedge formation, their gowns glittering in the candlelight, hoods shadowing their faces. Each hood was fashioned to represent an animal, and in an instant Randvi could spot the Suli lynx. She felt her heart drop, an ache rip through her chest for Inej.

She did so much for the crew, but never asked for anything in return. She deserved better than the likes of them, she deserved better than Kaz and his schemes.

"The peacock will enter last."

And sure enough, she did. Heleen Van Houden emerged in shimmering satin, an elaborate ruff of peacock feathers framing her golden head. A shiver shot through Randvi. From the few stories Inej had shared with her, even she feared Heleen.

"Subtle," Said Nina.

"Subtle doesn't sell in the Barrel."

Inej then gave a high, thrilling whistle, and Jesper's followed from the distance. Randvi felt a moments relief knowing Jesper was okay, and that maybe Jakov was too.

"How does she keep from collapsing under the weight of those diamonds? They can't possibly be real." Nina asked as she squinted through the glass of the dome.

"Oh, they're real." Said Inej.

"I bet they'd be worth something." Randvi raised her eyebrows. "It'd be a shame if someone stole them."

"A tragedy," Grinned Nina.

Inej stood up silently, beginning to move across the roof, following the path of a group of girls. Randvi glanced down to see a Suli lynx and a Kaelish mare heading to the doors on the left. She and Nina took that as their cue to follow behind the Wraith. They were led to an air duct Inej had removed the grate from. Inej moved first, slipping into the duct, followed by Nina. This is it, she thought, and slipped down behind the pair.

The ventilation duct was narrow, so Randvi crouched and slid along the shaft. They peered through vent after vent as they crawled along, a sweat working on Randvi's brow. Until, finally, they were looking down into a small meeting room for the purpose of searching guests.

The Exotics had removed their capes and laid them on the long oval table. A blonde guard was patting the girls down, feeling along the seams of the costume, running a hand through their hair. Another guard held onto a rifle. Fjerda never let women serve in the army, Randvi had once dreamed of serving as a drüskelle, but women were permitted to do minor military acts.

They waited until the guards had finished their searches.

"Ven tidder," One of the guards said, then exited the room to let the Menagerie girls set themselves right. The other guard lingered behind, waiting at the door.

"Go," Inej said.

"I need you to move."

"Why?"

"Because I need a clear line of sight, and right now all I can see is your ass."

Inej must have wriggled forwards, as only a second later there were a series of thuds below them. The Menagerie girls collapsed onto the dark blue carpet along with the blonde guard. Inej then wrenched the grate loose and dropped onto the shiny surface of table. Nina tumbled down,  and Randvi felt herself falling, landing on top of Nina.