Chapter Twenty Two

Start from the beginning

The sounds of the sirens get softer and I snap my head up. The cars speed down the other side of the street and head towards the cut. It won't be long till they're knocking on every door looking for us.

My phone vibrates in my pocket and I look around for Shoupe or any passerby's. I slowly pull it out and look down at the screen.

Dad, 10 Missed Calls

Topper, 3 Missed Calls

Shit.

Dad, 10 Minutes Ago

Don't come home. Police are searching everywhere for you.

Thank you, dad I had no idea.

"What does it say?" Avery asks, her breathing finally slowing down.

I turn my phone to show her and she nods slowly, trying to wrap her head around it all. "So, now what? What's your plan?"

"Barry's is the only place I know that is safe. He's a drug dealer, if we go down so does he. No one knows we associate besides the two of us anyway." I tell her like it's the easiest, most thought out plan in the world.

Avery stands and rubs her knees free of dirt while I do the same. I hold out my hand and she clasps hers in my own. This time not due to us running. It gives me some sort of peace knowing that she is here next to me.

"Does it though? " My thoughts taunt me. "Get out." I fire back to my sadistic subconscious.

"Weren't you just using her to get what you wanted in the first place? This would all be over if you just shot her in the head the night on the boat." I grab a piece of my hair with my free hand and pull hard to stop my mind from shouting at me. Every time something remotely good happens in my life, here come my thoughts to fuck it up. Not that this specific situation is good, but having her here is.

"Shut up." I growl, causing Avery to look over at me in concern, "I didn't say anything?"

My thoughts literally laugh at me. "I wasn't talking to you."

"Let's just hurry and get to Barry's before anyone sees us out here. My dad is already losing his shit, I have twenty missed calls from him. A missing persons report is probably next." She says with frustration in her voice. If she's so worried about that why is she here?

"Fuck it up. Ruin it." My thoughts taunt me once more, each phrase growing louder and louder.

"Leave me alone. Please." I shout back silently. I feel Avery's eyes on me but I keep my own towards the path leading to the cut.

I take a few deep breaths in through my nose and out my mouth, causing my subconscious to back off slightly. I don't know why it helps, but it does. That, and being disgustingly fucked up. My mouth waters at the thought of a line. Barry better hook me up, I've had quite the day.

The two of us remain quiet the rest of the way to the old trailer Barry lives in. An assortment of old, beat up bikes litter what is supposed to be a front yard, while a fire burns in a pit on the other side. Barry comes into view, counting money per usual.

"Hey, Mr. and Mrs. Country Club! What a nice surprise."

Barry grins at us while Avery's face remains flat. I want to laugh but decide to get straight into it.

"Can we crash here tonight? Got some shit going on that I don't want to deal with right now."

Barry scratches his head and looks around. "Uh, I mean I don't see why not. What'd you do this time, Rafe? Scratch daddy's Range Rover?"