chapter 54: birthday part 3

Severus watched as he stood a few feet from me. He turned and looked at me, breathing heavily. "Thank you. Why did they listen to you?" I asked as he walked up closer to me. "Because they did fear you." He spoke softly. My smile faded a bit and i paused looking at the three wizards flying far away. "Do you think that means others could be scared of me?" I asked motioning to the party. He looked down at me with a softened face, I could tell he was sorry about what he had said to me earlier, and he regretted it. "No. of course not. No one that knows you is afraid of you Y/n." he said sighing, I nodded and looked behind me at the house. He looked down and saw the scratch on my arm. "Merlin, when did this happen?" He said, grabbing my arm. "Oh, when he was chasing me." I said looking down. He looked at me gently and cautiously held my arm. I looked up at him and he made eye contact, he retained it as he reached to my sleeve and ripped it, tearing a piece off. I could feel my face flush at the act. He tied it around the cut tightly, I winced and he looked at me again, "Thank you." I said smiling up at him. "Let's go inside and take care of it." He coughed and walked ahead of me. I turned and followed, avoiding all the people and heading to my bathroom. I sat on the counter and pulled my sleeve down, holding the front over my chest. We both paused looking at my arm, it was covered in slowly fading black veins. I sighed and he grabbed a rag and cleaned the cut with water first, "I'm sorry for what I said." He spoke in his deep velvety voice, "I know, me too." I felt him stop for a moment, switching to a potion he had, putting it on the rag. "This will sting." I nodded, "I can handle it." I smiled. He looked up at me with a small smile, "I know." He dabbed it on the cut, it did sting but I just bit down and closed my eyes. "All done." Severus said as he began to wrap it up in gauze. "Thank you again." I smiled. He stood in front of me, putting the potion away. As we stood in silence i thought about today's events. "I don't want to be with Lucius." I said looking down. He stayed silent, "Or Draco." I added looking up at him, I could tell he didn't know what to say. "Why are you telling me this?" he asked, confused. "I dont know." He looked in my eyes and then off to the side. "We have been over this." he sighed and I nodded. "I know, multiple times." I felt a lump in my throat form, I don't know why, but I just wanted to bawl my eyes out and have him comfort me. "I was only with Lucius to distract my head from the thought of you." I mumbled crossing my arms. He looked over me, "That's an absurd reason." he said softly. I laughed and shook my head. "I'm sure you had your own means of expression." he looked at the mirror behind me and back down at me. "Can I ask you something?" I said looking up at him, he nodded and I sighed, "At the beginning of the year, why didn't you want me in your class? I heard, I think you, telling Dumbledore it wasn't a good idea." He looked over my serious expression and looked away. "I don't think that was me." he said shaking his head, "Really because he had your shoes?" I said pointing down at them, "Just be honest with me Severus please!" I raised my voice a little. He looked at me with a still face for a moment.

"Because...I know your father." he let out reluctantly, looking at me for any signs of emotion. "How?" I asked quietly. "He did business with my father sometimes. Not the good kind i'm afraid. I just didn't think it was appropriate." I looked up at him looking in his eyes for anything out of place. "Is that all? It wasn't anything dangerous was it?" He quickly shook his head, "No nothing to worry about." he smiled. I nodded and looked down at my dress. "You don't wanna know what I went through to get this dress." I laughed. "Oh yes. I apologize." he smirked. We stood in silence for a moment and I felt a small sadness. "Severus," I looked up at him and he stopped what he was doing, " I was serious. About my feelings." I said, trying to be straight forward. He looked at me and stared down at me, he wasn't sure what to say. "I.." he started but stopped and sighed. "Just say what's on your mind," I said looking in his eyes. His brows were furrowed, "Or show me?" I suggested. he looked me up and down and I closed my eyes. I opened them looking at him, letting him know He could trust me. I reached a hand out and grabbed his arm, giving him some encouragement and going in his thoughts. I saw some normal ones, then I saw the day in the whomping willow, and then Lucius, Draco, and Dumbledore. I sighed, he really was afraid of them. I then saw the next thought, a memory, our walk back from the woods, when he carried me. I also saw our yule ball kiss, but was surprised when I saw an unfamiliar one, he did indeed want to discuss it more, and he did still have certain feelings for me, they were just complicated.