He Smiled

Rex sat on her bunk. 

He had thought her invincible; untouchable. 

But he had been wrong.

Ahsoka Tano was dead. By the one who calls himself Darth Vader. She had been his oldest friend, and now he was alone. 

Gregor and Wolffe had gone back to Seelos for the meantime, not knowing of her death. Rex didn't know how he would tell them without breaking down himself. 

He had thought that she would be the last one standing. Now he was all that was left of the once mighty 501st Legion. The Republic had fallen, along with the other Jedi, now joined by Ahsoka. 

He just hoped that she was at peace now, somewhere in the galaxy. 

But Rex wanted to be selfish; he wanted her to come back to him. He had already lost so much. He didn't want her to be gone too. Didn't he deserve this much?

He had once thought that the greatest pain he would go through was Umbara, where he had fired at his own brothers. But now, he knew this was worse; his oldest friend, gone, and nobody else here that he could say remembrance with. Not even Kanan, with their rocky friendship, knew Ahsoka personally when they were padawans. 

Ahsoka had once promised that she would never leave him. She had broken that promise, and he selfishly wanted to hate her for it. 

But he loved her. She was the only person who shared his pain, understood it. And he could never hate her for dying doing what she did best; protecting those who couldn't protect themselves. 

Rex stood up. He knew there were other people hurting; people alive.

He wiped a stray tear, and promised himself he could mourn all he had lost later. Now he had to make sure his... new family were alright. They were all he had now, after all. 

Rex smiled as he thought about her. He would never forget her. As long as people remembered the courageous, loving Ahsoka Tano, then she would be with them. 

He smiled as he felt a familiar presence wrap itself around him, even in the windowless cabin. 

He smiled as he fought for the family he had left.

He smiled as she finally came back to him.

He smiled as his last breath stuttered through his chest, his best friend holding his hand. 

He smiled as he looked up into her teary face, wise with age. 

He smiled as he relived every happy memory, and finally reunited with his lost family.

He smiled as she joined him as well. 

Happy Reading! :)