chapter 34

it's been a month since you've seen jack. you really haven't facetimed or texted much either; school has been stressful for you and jack's trying to get his shoulder better so he can start playing again.

you're both at different spots in your lives right now; jack's becoming a rising super star in the NHL, while you're trying to finish college.

you go down to the mailroom to check if you've received any mail. you don't have much, just the usual care package from your mom.

you go back to your room, and once you lie down in your bed, you get an incoming facetime call from jack.

you see jack's big smile as soon as you answer. he's so cute.

"are you coming for thanksgiving?" jack says with puppy dog eyes.

oh no. you totally forgot you said you were coming.

"oh jack, my grandparents actually invited me to come to their house for thanksgiving, i'm sorry."

"oh." you can tell jack's hurt, but he tries to hide it.

"yeah." you say, creating an awkward silence between you two.

"we'll that's okay. maybe you can come for christmas?"

"definitely."

"okay good. well my mom was actually thinking about going to new york city for christmas. and we play the canadiens on the 23rd, so maybe cole and carly can come too?"

"oooo yeah. i like that idea."

"okay perfect." jack flashes a cheesy smile.

after talking for a while, jack heaves out a heavy sigh.

"what?"

"life is boring when you're not here with me." he rests his head on his hand.

"oh jack. don't say that. you have hockey. and your friends. and your teammates."

"yeah but when i can't play cause of my stupid shoulder, i'm bored all the time. the only thing that makes the time go by is thinking of you."

you start to blush. "aren't you going to play again soon though?"

"yeah. i've been practicing with the team again. but only for like 20 minutes at a time, and i have to wear a non contact jersey."

"well 20 minutes is better than none, and i'm sure you'll be playing again very soon."

"i hope so."

"and by the way, college is very boring without you too. i think about you when i'm bored in class, which is all the time."

jack smiles. "glad we both feel the same way."