Chapter 15 - Old Man

Making content was proving difficult for Aaron. He had so much on his mind that his comedy skits didn't seem as funny as usual, but he had to post something or risk losing more followers, so he did his best to brainstorm ideas.

Justin was MIA for a few days. At first, he thought that the guy had disappeared like Elijah, but the others still remembered him so it didn't seem like that was the case.

Back in the past, Caleb was struggling with the sudden shift to overnight. Whenever Aaron arrived, the guy was passed out on the couch, having tried to stay up for the content creator. He could have awoken the ghost but knew he needed some time to adjust to the new job and thus left him alone.

It wasn't until the third day that he finally spotted Justin again. He didn't appear to have any new injuries, but he did seem worried about something. He was vacantly staring into space by the fridge with his hand on the counter. Aaron tapped him on the shoulder and he jerked away.

Once he saw who it was, he let out a sigh. "You scared me!"

"Sorry but, where have you been? It's been days and everyone's worried."

"I saw you just yesterday."

"When?"

"In the bathroom."

"That was three days ago, man." 

Justin blinked. "Was it?"

"You sure you're okay?"

He stared down at his feet but didn't answer. Aaron needed to get more information out of the man and fast. He wanted to be gentle though because he seemed to be traumatized. "Hey...Justin. Did...Did anything bad happen to you while living here?"

Justin looked back at him, confused, and shook his head.

"You sure? No one...Attacked you or anything?"

The man's body locked up, and he turned slowly towards Aaron. "Why would you think that?"

"Just...Wondering." He had hoped that insinuating it would jog the guy's memory, but his confused reaction had Aaron thinking that maybe he was completely wrong. Caleb had said it was a married couple that lived there, and Justin wasn't married. So maybe he had the right story, but the wrong person?

If he knew any of their neighbors then he'd have gone to them for answers. Yet, being a homebody, he didn't have the social skills to make friends. All he knew how to do was prank strangers. Yet, it looked like he was going to have to get over that if he wanted more information.

He patted Justin's shoulder. "Never mind. I was jumping to conclusions. I'll see you later?"

"Yeah." Justin nodded and opened the refrigerator, only to stare blankly inside as Aaron walked away.

According to Caleb, people in the neighborhood knew a lot more about the house than what was reported online, so that was where he'd have to start.

Out front, a few other townhouses were aligning the road with an old cracked sidewalk. Some trees were planted to make the area look nice, and from a distance it was beautiful.

Scanning the road for other pedestrians, he spotted a man sitting on a bench and made his way towards him, already wondering how he should start the conversation.

Three kids abruptly ran out from beside one of the townhouses and cut in front of him. They all looked about ten or so and were squealing as two boys avoided a girl who was running with her hands out, intent on tagging them.

When the boy upfront noticed Aaron, he stopped in his tracks and stared. The other two kids did the same when they caught up.

"Oh, hiya." Aaron awkwardly waved, hoping they'd get out of his way.