Chapter 48 - You've Got a Friend

Start from the beginning

"I'm mostly fine. Just some bruised ribs. And these." I raised my arm to show all the tiny cuts.

"You really had me worried." Summer paused, finally noticing the stares. And not just from my friends. People at other tables were looking now. She looked back at me. "Take a walk with me?"

"Sure." I stood up and followed her out. I'd barely eaten any of my lunch, but I wasn't that hungry, anyway. I didn't worry about it going to waste, though. My vulturous friends would pick over the tray until it was empty.

Outside, me and Summer strolled along the sidewalk that curved around the outdoor patio where a few groups sat at the wooden picnic tables, despite the heat and lack of protection from the sun. Once we got around the corner of the building, Summer asked, "How are you really?"

"I'm fine, Sunny."

She let out a small giggle. "I missed that nickname."

"Well, if you don't still hate me too much to be my friend, I'll call you that all the time."

Summer bumped her shoulder against mine. "I didn't hate you, Clay. I was upset, because I loved you."

"So, no to the friends things then?"

"Of course I want to be your friend, dummy." She tapped her fist against my shoulder. "Especially since I finally feel like I know you. You finally make sense to me." She looked up at me with an affectionate grin.

"Shawn won't get upset that you're hanging out with me? If you need to, you can tell him about... about me."

Summer rolled her eyes. "I don't have to do anything. Any boy who requires qualifications for me having male friends is a boy who will not be dating me." There was that fierce, headstrong attitude that initially drew me to wanting to be her friend. She was always the most confident person I'd ever known. She always seemed like she really had her shit together. I admired that because my shit was all over the place. "Besides, Shawn is not an insecure man-child. I told him you and I are friends again the day you came out to me."

"Speaking of which." I looked around to make sure no one was in the vicinity to eavesdrop. Satisfied, I said, "I was with Emmett."

"What do you mean?"

"In the accident. He was in the car, too. That's why I skipped. To go see him."

"Really?" She gave me a proud smile. "Did you take my advice?"

"I did, actually." I told her the story of how it all came about, including the bit where me and Emmett kissed in the park and confessed our love. I lowered my voice, even though we were alone. "He's my boyfriend now, Sunny." As always, that word gave me that heady, butterflies-in-my-stomach feeling. I couldn't get used to it, but I adored saying it. "I have a boyfriend."

"That's amazing news." Summer slipped her arm around my waist. I put my arm over her shoulder. It was just like old times. "I really want to meet the guy that finally thawed your frozen heart. He's gotta be something special."

My cheeks flooded with heat. "He is."

"Tell me all about him."

"God, Sunny, I love him so much." We spent the rest of lunch walking around campus through the paths least traveled by teachers. I told her everything I knew about Emmett. Everything I loved about him. From his obsession with Taylor Swift and his passion for books, to his love of obscure films that only cinefiles had heard of. I told her about all the time we spent together and everything that I wanted for us. Once I started talking about him, the wall I'd built up to keep my feelings secret crumbled; it all just came tumbling out.

It was so nice to talk about Emmett without fear of being ostracized or sneered at. Summer didn't care about me being gay. She didn't care that I was in love with a boy. She sparkled with joy, devouring every word.

I was actually disappointed when the bell rang, and we had to part ways.

Summer pulled me down to kiss my cheek. "I'm always here for you, if you ever need someone to talk to about him."

"Thank you." I gave her a hug. "And thank you for being cool about all this."

When she pulled away, she had a confused look. "Of course I'm cool with it. It's who you are."

"But if you had reacted badly, I don't know if I ever would've found the courage to tell anyone else. I guess you were like my guinea pig."

Summer nodded in understanding. "I get it."

"I love you, Sunny."

She grinned. "I love you, too, Button."

I laughed at the stupid nickname. I couldn't even remember why she started calling me that. I'd hated it when we were together, especially when she said it around my friends. But it was nice to hear now. It reminded me of how close we'd been. I hoped we could get back to that, just in a new, more honest way.

Summer waved and headed off toward her next class.

Well, now I knew I had at least two real friends I could count on to stand by my side, no matter what. Summer and Jackson both knew my secret, and they still loved me. That gave me hope that maybe my other friends could accept it one day, too.