K-I-S-S-I-N-G

Seven year-old Derek was running away from his sisters. He ducked behind a wall on the deck of the ferry. They wouldn't leave him alone...

Earlier, At School.

"Girls are a PAIN!" Derek complained. "They're sooo annoying," he picked at the grass beside him.

Mark shrugged, "Girls aren't that bad..." he said, gazing wistfully at a brunette doing cartwheels across the field.

"You just say that cause you don't have sisters. Just wait till you have to live with a girl, they're the worst." They were. Kathleen was a nag, Nancy was a tattletale, Lizzie cried all the time... and now he just found out that another baby was coming. He hated girls.

"I think Susie has a crush on you," Mark said.

"Susie?" he asked. Susie that lived down the block? They were in swimming lessons together, and sometimes she came over to play with Nancy. He never paid any attention to Susie. Because she was a GIRL.

"She told Nancy she wants to maarrrry you," Mark teased.

Derek's face scrunched in disgust. "Ew. Gross." He didn't want to get married! Not until he was like... a hundred or something. "Wait," he said. "How do people get married anyway?" He knew his parents were married, and he knew that's what people did to make babies. But how did it happen?

"Easy," Mark said. "You hold hands and kiss." Then he stood up and grinned mischievously, "Hey, you think I should marry Julia?"

Derek rolled his eyes, "Ugh, you are such a Canasova!"

"That's Cassanova. Excuse me."

Derek sighed as he watched his new friend saunter off in search of a GIRL. He would never understand Mark.

Now he was trapped on the ferry. Kathy and Nancy searching for him because they were Susie's bridesmaids. No way he was going to get married! No way.

From his hiding spot, he saw mom and dad on the forward deck. Lizzie was there too, playing with her doll. But his parents were oblivious to his younger sister. They were standing facing each other, the wind blowing his mother's hair in front of her eyes. His father pushed her hair out of the way and cupped her face. As the wind swirled around them, they leaned into each other, his mother on her tippy toes. And there it was, the unmistakable touch of their lips, pressing for a moment then deepening, causing their heads to move in sync. Then they pulled away, slightly breathless. Mother turned to check on Lizzie before turning back to face the water again, and her hand slid easily into her husband's as they enjoyed the oncoming view.

It lasted less then five seconds. Long enough for Derek to ponder what it meant. Of course, he'd seem them kiss before... but this time it was different. Why? He wondered, why do people kiss? Because it seemed like a silly idea to him. Kissing was gross. Girls were gross. Why would he want to touch a girl's lips?

"Susie and Derek sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G! First comes LOVE, then comes MARRIAGE, then comes a BABY in a BABY carriage!" Nancy and Kathy chanted.

Darn, they found him! He pushed himself out of the nook he'd found, trying to squeeze out of their clutches. As he did so, he tripped on his untied shoelace. Kathy grabbed him from behind, pulling him up. And right in front of him was Susie.

He stared at her. She stared at him. "Um..." he stammered. The wind blew her blonde hair in front of her face, and her blue eyes glistened in the sunlight. Nancy bumped him from behind. He glowered at her. But he was sorta curious. He looked at Susie and leaned forward, not sure what to do.

Susie grabbed his hand. Before he could process anything, he saw a blonde flash, and felt the warm touch of soft skin on his lips. Then it was gone. He blinked. Susie blinked. Then she dashed off, her blonde hair bouncing behind her yellow sundress. He pressed two fingers to his lips. That was it? That was what a kiss felt like? It wasn't that bad... It wasn't gross. Actually, it felt kinda... nice. He sighed, tilted his head and allowed a small smile to stretch across his lips.

Then a scary thought occured to him. Did he just get MARRIED?

He learned about Kisses on a Ferryboat.

A/N: This was a fun chapter to think about, and write! Thoughts anyone? Please vote and follow! Add me to your list!