5. Separation Anxiety

Start from the beginning

Cressida huffs angrily. "And how many friends do you have, Mr. Popular?" She counters. "And don't say me, Varian, or Neph."

Tarquin pouts. "It's not my fault Neph's husband is too afraid of her wrath to come here," he frowns at me. "He and I were going to become good drinking buddies. I could've seen it."

I roll my eyes, though I could've seen it too. "Feel free to invite him over anytime," I reply. "Just don't expect me to go out with you two."

"I don't understand. You two were so in love," Tarquin murmurs. "What happened?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

Tarquin chuckles. "You were way nicer when we first met, you know?"

"That's because I was lying for diplomacy," I reply. "Now, it's too late for you both. You guys already love me."

Tarquin rolls his eyes, but neither of them deny it, which warms me up inside. "Come on, Cress," I turn to her, looping my arm through hers. "We have a big day tomorrow."

"Which is why it would be a shame if the ceiling above me collapsed and broke every bone in my body," she says, looking skyward desperately. I shove her, laughing.

"It'll be fun," I tell her, ushering her up to her room. "I promise."

...

I winnow Cress and I to the house of wind the next morning, her trying her very best to fake an injury to me. She's such a bad liar that it's cute. I tell her as much as we walk in from the balcony.

She doesn't appear to be listening. "How did you winnow here?" She whispers.

I roll my eyes. "Quit faking a head injury," I snicker at her confusion.

"I'm serious," she whispers urgently, stopping me in my tracks with a hand on my wrist. "This house is warded with something more ancient than all of the High Lords put together. I read all about it when Tarquin and I were considering going to war against Night for their treachery. You shouldn't have been able to winnow anywhere close to the house."

I roll my eyes. "That's ridiculous. Winnowing here was as easy as ripping through paper. If I wasn't meant to winnow here, how did they expect us to get to the rooftop training ring?" I point out.

"Did you not read Cassian's letter?" She gapes.

"Of course I didn't," I chuckle in response. "I hate reading letters. You know that."

"He said the House was too heavily warded for us to winnow into. That we should winnow to the base of the mountain and send for him and Azriel to fly us up," she whispers urgently, looking over her shoulder.

I don't understand. In my bones, I don't feel any wards, any trace that could stop me from winnowing anywhere I wished. But Cress looks scared. "We'll figure it out later," I whisper back. "We're late. Just tell them we took the stairs."

She breathes out, nodding frantically as I pull her towards the sounds of people training. Cassian and Azriel frown as soon as they see us. "You were supposed to send for us when you arrived," Cassian says, his brow furrowed.

"We took the stairs," Cressida blurts, and I elbow her for lying so poorly.

"It's my fault," I chuckle. "I hate reading my mail. I'm sure you said so in your letter. Could've saved me all those steps."

Azriel frowns. "There's not a drop of sweat on either of you," he says skeptically.

"I'm definitely sweating," Cress murmurs, and I elbow her again.