˗ˋ 17

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH JAMES FLIRTS
HIS WAY IN

. . .

"You're crazy, Potter." There were no truer words, because Rosie's ears were filled with the chatter of the Gryffindor changing room and even more, the stands located directly in front of them. But for the blonde girl, she was close against the wooden frame of the small building outside of them, James's body pressed against her's. "You're going to be late."

His head tilted backwards, the hand that once was holding him up against the building, tucking a curl of hair behind her ear. "I can't be late, I'm the captain." He replied pointedly, before his lips found the sharp edge of her jaw and travelled into the curve of her neck once more. 

Rosie's eyes rolled, half involuntarily, half certainly on purpose. "You're so cocky." She added, not minding how her back arched towards him, and his second arm took full advantage of that, securing around her waist. "But really.. all I can hear is them wondering where you are."

"Come on, I'm giving you some of my best work here." James complained, his words muffled as he didn't hesitate to return to his actions, Rosie's eyes flickering closed again before opening - she knew they had to stop this. 

"Potter.. come on." Rosie whined, watching as he stood up straight, pressing a kiss to her lips. "You being the captain is exactly why you need to be there on time." 

"Hm." James frowned, reaching for the scarf that had been hastily discarded upon the group reaching the Quidditch grounds and the Potter snatching the newest addition to join him from some.. pre-match fun that, unlike what Rosie was used to considering her time playing in London, didn't include shots of Firewhiskey. 

"What?" It was easy to catch him staring, and Rosie's head ducked as she attempted to follow his gaze, only to find that his point of interest was quite a little way out of her circle of vision. "You gave me another hickey, didn't you?" She said.

James smirked, hand running through his hair as he adjusted his Quidditch uniform (it had become quite dishevelled in the process). "Several. But you look good with them, surprisingly." He replied.

"Surprisingly?"

"Well.. not a lot of people look good with hickies." James replied shortly, to the point. "You look amazing. However.. seeing as what you did earlier," he lifted the scarf and wrapped it around her neck, red and yellow stripes matching her clothes and yet again, he adjusted her hair.

"Thanks, I guess." Rosie's hands clawed through the mismatch of curls and straightened edges, before pulling the scarf tighter, reaching to push up his glasses. "Now come on Captain, go and motivate your team." 

"You think they'd like to meet my lucky charm for this go-around?" James pulled her around the corner, the corners of his lips still turned up in amusement. 

"This go-around?" Rosie didn't know if it was at all worthwhile for her to play into his flirting. There was no question of whether or not she got on with James, and seemed to have this insane connection with him that she was yet to find with any of the other boys she messed around with.. but Rosie hadn't planned on staying in Hogsmeade for long. In fact, she very much wanted to get out of there by Christmas. Which was never going to be good in the long run, if she got entangled in a complex messy relationship. 

"Well.. what I mean to say is..." James faltered, but his confidence didn't change. "It doesn't bode well to have just one. Sirius has done me well all these years.. but the man just isn't trustworthy enough. Reckon he's setting me up for failiure now that he's got his eye on the commentator." 

As much as that comment sparked her interest, Rosie didn't mention it. "In that case, I'll be youru lucky charm just this once. Doubt I'll be able to make it up for the next few." She paused. "Oh, who am I trying to kid? It's really fucking easy to sneak me in here, I'll be there."

"Good." James lead her towards the door marked with a familiar red and gold crest. "So, you ready for this?"

"I feel like I'm meeting your family."

"Oh you are - these wonderful sods are the best Quidditch players in the entire school." James replied, his hand steadily wrapped around hers; not too tight, not too loose. Just enough to keep her holding on as she managed to match his pace. Something which a certain someone just hadn't been able to do.

"I imagine you wouldn't settle for anything less." Rosie nodded, deciding her best interests and returning his flirting. "But I'll be the judge of that, see if they're fit to play in my league." 

"Don't forget to invite me to that, one day." James said.

"It's incredible exclusive Potter, took me several months of getting arrested by the Ministry and escaping to get in."

"I'd reckon I'll be able to." The Potter replied, and when he saw the look on her face, he added a conspiratorial wink. "Haven't you heard? I've got ins with their best Chaser." 

And with that, he pulled her into the Gryffindor changing room.