˗ˋ 05

CHAPTER FIVE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE'S INVITED
TO THE CASTLE

. . .

Now that Rosmerta most definitely knew what had happened the night before, shame ebbed into Rosie's cheeks before decided that she didn't really care that much, turning towards her door grasping the two mugs. 

"How do you like your toast?" She asked, placing one on her bedside table and handing James one of the mugs. "Don't look like that at the tea, it did nothing to you. And my aunt definitely knows, which is why you now have a mug at it. So be mad at her."

"I don't think you will. Your aunt is quite a formidable woman." James took a sip of the tea, hesitating before taking another. "This isn't half as bad as I expected."

"You're right about that - well both things, but the formidable one mostly. But like I said, she's a terrible gossip and this wil either be known by everyone in the village before ten or she won't utter a word. Loyal as hell, but I doubt it'll happen." Rosie shrugged. "So, how do you like your toast?"

"You can be quite the host when you want to. Toasted enough that it turns all golden because the butter melts quickly." James told her, taking another sip of the tea, expression still one of surprise to how much he liked it. "Not near burnt, but a little brown."

"I don't know if you think I have a magical toaster or something, but alright got it." Rosie nodded, finding it almost endearing in the way he answered. But that wasn't what she had been asking really, so she rearranged the question. "Any jams.. or honey, or marmalade or something? I think we even have some lemon curd?"

"Just butter, please." James watched as the girl pulled a pair of jeans over her legs, focusing as she did up the buttons and tied a belt, swapping her t-shirt for a thicker, knitted sweater. 

"Come through whenever, Raisa's gone down for work." Rosie slipped out of the bedroom after that and James did as suggested minutes later, following a brief sweep of the room to make sure nothing had dropped out of his pockets.

He very almost forget to pick up his wand from the bedside table but remembered last minute, sliding it into his pocket as he reached to the half-empty mug of tea, taking another sip as he pulled the door open and closed behind him. 

"I apologise if it's nothing like your breakfast at Hogwarts." Rosie had several slices of toasts cut up into triangles on a plate, carrying a tea pot and the plate over to the wooden table, setting it down in front of two of the seats. "I've heard they can be quite magnificent."

"You've got that right. The food there is incredible." James nodded, watching as the girl sat down, before pausing and getting up again, returning with some honey. "Is this more of the tea?" He gestured at the tea pot.

"I thought it 'wasn't your thing'." Rosie grinned, before pushing it towards him with her finger. "Knock yourself out. So what sort of thing would you be having if you were at Hogwarts."

"Well house-elves make the food and they always go all out. For breakfast on weekends there's always massive plates of bacon and sausages, fried mushrooms and tomatos and potatos, baked beans and every type of egg you can think of." James listed it off, counting them down on his hands. "On weekdays is mostly toast or cereal. Sometimes there's croissants and there's absolutely always tea and coffee."

"A necessity." Rosie nodded slowly. "You know my mum didn't want to send me there, so she homeschooled me? I've always been desperate to go, and now she's torturing me by sending me to live in a place where my bedroom window has a view of the place."

It sounded quite sad, and James glanced up at her, midway through a bite of his toast. He chewed thoughtfully, watching as she pulled up the sleeve of her sweater than had been slipping and loaded her toast with even more honey.

"There's a Halloween party." He suddenly said, words finding him. "Next Saturday. I can meet up with you and sneak you into the castle. Then you can see the castle and I can see you again."

"You're not supposed to get close with one-night stands Potter." The Rosmerta girl said knowingly. "Especially rebounds, they cause the most trouble. However, if you're inviting me, then I don't see why I can't accept."

"Nice." James hid his smile by taking another sip of his tea. "So I'll pick you up around half-six?" It was early in the evening, but he had to pick things up for the party and get back through the long passageway between the Shrieking Shack and Hogwarts, taking the detour route down to Honeydukes' basement as well.

"Is it dress-up?"

"Oh 100%. Where's the fun if it wasn't?" James' tone was incredulous and it made her laugh, a welcome sight. "So is it a yes?"

Rosie paused in her eating, examining the Potter boy across from her, head tilted to the side as she reached across to push his glasses further up his nose.

"I'll come to your party, Potter."