˗ˋ 07

CHAPTER SEVEN

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH DETAILS
ARE SHARED

. . .

"Wattlebird." Even though the most recent password to the Gryffindor Common Room was something that James and Sirius had laughed at just several days before when it was announced, there wasn't any humour on James's faces as he said it this time. 

He paused before he entered, several first years appearing on the other side of the portrait of the Fat Lady as the frame swung open ( the woman portrayed within the painting was slightly disgruntled; James had interupted her newest attempt at a particularily high note ) and hurrying out with words of gratitudes spilling out of their lips as they passed him, screeches of laughter heard when they ran down the corridor. 

A grin covered his lips when he stepped through, gaze landing on a group of three very recognisable boys. His walk turned almost into a saunter as he made his way towards them.

"The walk of shame Prongs, really?" Sirius stood up and clapped James on the back, smile wide as he pulled the Potter boy down into the seat beside him. 

Remus and Peter wore similar smiles on their faces, inching forward in their seats. Together, they formed a small circle, Sirius nudging his friend in the side. "So, did you do it?" 

James took his sweet time, sitting back in his seat and enjoying the attention this was giving him. He pushed up his glasses, pulling a finger through his hair. "Geez, Padfoot, at least I'm mature enough to say that I had sex last night." James rolled his eyes, laughing as Sirius led the three in cheering. 

In all honesty, James felt like an entirely new man in comparison to the one who entered the Three Broomsticks the previous night. He had never truly believed that rebounds were the way to go - being in a boarding school led to seeing many couples come and go, and with that came several rebounds - but now he had a little more faith in them.

"So, how you feeling?" Remus was the first to ask the rational questions. "Your head killing you yet? It took hours to get Pete out of bed this morning." 

"She had a potion with her that cured it." James was still grinning. It hinted towards her being a little wilder than she first let on; who just carried around a hangover potion and could name a friend that easily supplied then. That was the type of person James knew he could get on with with ease. "But.. I feel better."

"Well you're not in tears anymore, so I guess we can all take it as a good sign." Peter sat back in his seat, almost imitating the pose that James had taken. 

"Yep. I feel a lot better. And.. I might have invited her to the Halloween party next weekend." James admitted. "I mean she gave me breakfast and hooked up with me.. maybe-"

"You're hoping to get some more action." Sirius chuckled, shaking his head as he finished his sentence. "Well I mean she seemed into it, so what can I say."

"Besides, one of us would've been going through to Hogsmeade for Butterbeer, Firewhiskey and whatever the hell we can get from Honeydukes' basement. I can get an extra pair of hands and bring even more with me." James brushed off the attention, unable to hide the smile either way.

Sirius, Remus and Peter shared a passing glance in reaction - they all knew what he could be like. Of course he claimed that it was just for extra hands, but he wouldn't be smiling this much if it was just a hook up. 

At the very least he found her attractive - considering he just broke up with the proclaimed 'love of his life', there had to be something there. Even if it wasn't the same for her, she also seemed to have found him just as good looking - who else would offer to make a depressed guy's night a little better.

Whatever had pushed Rosie to lend James a night with her, the Potter boy was grateful. Even if it just seemed to slightly be because she was going through something herself.

Not that it necessarily mattered.

Peter suddenly elbowed Remus in the side, and although the werewolf yelped and was clearly in pain, their gazes turned towards Peter was pointing. 

Lily, Marlene, Dorcas, Alice and Mary had just traipsed through the portrait hall, all five of them pausing when they saw the group of boys. But just the sight of them wasn't what made them hesitate - it was the fact that James had a smile on his face.

"Wasn't he devastated last night." Marlene whispered, looking almost panicked as she leaned towards Lily, lowering her usual volume.

"I'd never seen him that upset." Mary raised her eyebrows as she agreed, sharing a look with Alice. "So.. what do you think changed?"

Lily's eyes flickered over to the sofa once more. All four boys were laughing and smiling, a strange turn of emotions since the previous day. That was unexpected.

"Didn't they all disappear somewhere last night?" Marlene put forward. "Maybe it's something to do with that?"

"Yeah, they went to Hogsmeade." Lily nodded her head slowly, thoughts flickering. She had found out all about the map whilst they were dating, and knew just how many passages they had discovered in his their time at Hogwarts. "So they were drinking." 

"And Rosmerta's niece has come to stay with us. She told us herself - even pointed her out." Alice's eyes were wide. "You don't think.. on the very same night??"

But that was just the effect of Rosie Rosmerta.