CHAPTER FORTY SIX

MATTHEO RIDDLE IS YASMINE AMAROS. CALANTHA, ERISED, EPIPHANY, NICCÓLO, KASSANDRA, LANA, VASILI, AND DÀINN ARE MINE. ALL OTHERS UNLESS MENTIONED ARE JK RO*LINGS.

─── ・ 。 ゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

T R I G G E R W A R
N I N G

none

─── ・ 。 ゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

F O R T Y S I X

IT WAS the middle of the night when the knocks woke me up. At first I thought it was a dream, that none of it was truly real, that the knocks were echoes from the storm harboring the ground above. The rain had been going for days now, and only grew worse at night, hitting the castle like thousands of soldiers marching in union, reminding every one that they were there, abandoning their sleep.

I sat up in my wrap of satin green, my hair a wave of messy curls falling below my shoulders, hands wrapped around my legs as I tried to steady myself. My head spun faster than a spindle, and the thoughts inside seemed to do every thing but ease. An ache drew from my ear to my temple, where the headaches had grown worse since day-fall, and with each knock on the door, pounded harder beneath my tightened skin.

The soles of my feet hit the floor-- cold, damp wood creaked beneath my weight, shifting as I did so --until I was standing face against the tall wood frame, my hand fingering the knob through the darkness.

That beautiful green aromatic glow illuminated my dorm again, as it did every night, and the shadows of sullen creatures swimming past provided no more comfort than the dark had taken. But it was beautiful, no matter how dark or mysterious, no matter how afraid I was of what lay beyond that glass pane; it was beautiful.

I pulled the door open slowly, as if preparing myself for some dark creature. I didn't see anything at first, not when the darkness hugged me from all around, suffocating me so that even that beautiful green could provide me no warmth.

But then he stepped toward me, and I stepped backward, saying nothing as neither of our eyes met with one another. My hand stayed on the door knob even after he was feet into my room, and my eyes stayed glued to the floor beneath my toes, and I let the door close itself. 

We were alone now, together in my dorm, secluded and free from every one else. Possibly for the first time in weeks.

But I wasn't confused, and nor was I mad that he was here, now. At this hour, every thing about him was okay with me. I didn't care that the last thing I said to him was a forever goodbye, or that we weren't on good terms, or about our past. None of it even mattered anymore because none of it had been real.