Chapter 39 - The Boy with the Thorn in His Side

Start from the beginning

Mom smiled at me and laid her head on her husband's chest.

Dad had tears in his eyes, but he also smiled. "Okay."

I raised my brows. "That's all you're gonna say?"

"Do you want me to say more?" He squeezed my hand. "I can. I can tell you that I love you. Because I do. Who you date doesn't change that. I couldn't love you more, even if you were my own flesh and blood. Your sister, too."

I looked around, wondering for the first time the whereabouts of my sister and brother. "Where is Rachel? And Teddy?"

"She's watching him at home," Mom said. "We didn't want to bring him to the hospital."

I nodded. I didn't want them to see me like this, anyway. Especially Rachel. She was an overreactor, like our mother. "Can you find out how Emmett is, Mom? No one will tell me anything."

"I'll get to the bottom of it." She released her husband and set out to find someone to berate into giving her information.

"So, you and Emmett, huh?" Dad perched on the foot of the bed. "How long has that been a thing?"

"Today would be Day One."

"Oh!"

"Yeah," I said. I explained why we were together, why I skipped school, and my plan to confess after the party. "I wasn't expecting him to ask me if I liked him. And I just said it. Right there in the park for anyone to hear. And I kissed him."

I raised my eyes from my fidgeting fingers to look at the man who had raised me for the last seven years as his own son, loving me and my sister enough to adopt us. I still remembered the day we asked him to be our dad, officially. We had the adoption papers all ready. He just had to sign it to become our dad. It was one of my most vivid memories. He cried, holding a hand over his face, trying to pull himself together. Finally, he said yes. We all hugged and cried. Then we went out for pizza and ice cream.

He smiled at me.

"What?" I asked.

"I've never seen you like this before."

"Like what?"

"So... joyful. You light up when you talk about him," Dad said. My mother said something similar.

"Do I?" I wondered if my feelings were that obvious to everyone.

Dad nodded and patted my arm, careful not to touch any of the cuts. His eyes grew glassy again. His voice was a bit strained when he spoke. "I'm really glad you're okay. I'd hug you, but I don't want to hurt you."

"I think I can handle it. As long as you don't squeeze me like Mom did."

Dad laughed and moved to sit closer. He stretched his arms around me, barely putting any pressure into it. "I love you, kid."

"I love you, too, Dad."

The curtain parted and Mom stepped in again. My heart stuttered, worried about the news. "Is he okay?"

Mom smiled. "Do you want to see him?"

I nodded vehemently. I tried to get up too fast and stretched my sore ribs. I grabbed my side and sank back onto the edge of the bed, grimacing. Fresh tears sprung up in my eyes.

Both my parents rushed to my side, fawning over me.

"I'm getting a wheelchair," Mom announced, fleeing my cubicle before I could protest.

Dad chuckled, laying a hand on my shoulder. "You might as well not bother fighting her. You know how she is."

I sighed, rolling my eyes. "I know." I grabbed my shirt off the bed rail and handed it to him. "Can you help me with this before she gets back?"