Chapter 28 Waterfall (Maria)

Começar do início

And he won't reject you, her heart whispered.

Prae came to discuss plans for the rest of the day. Maria took panorama pictures before they returned to the vehicle. They must have gotten service since she had a text from Mitch. She glanced at Tom who still chatted with Prae and wore a smile, then she opened the message.

Mitch: Hey Northern cutie, just saw someone devouring one of those taco desserts you loved from the market and thought of you. They weren't as savage with it as you were ; ) Hope your trip is going well and that Tom is being a gentleman.

The warmth she'd experienced earlier doubled, spreading up her neck to her cheeks. He still recalled one of their first outings in Bangkok together, the day after she cut ties with Adrian for the first time. But the mention of Tom meant Mitch joked around in a platonic way.

Maria: It's going great. He's being his usual sweet self.

Mitch: Nice, I'm happy for you : ) Have fun!

A sinking feeling settled in her stomach. He must have believed Tom was a good guy for her. As much as she hated Adrian's jealousy, at least it showed he thought of her in a romantic light. Mitch didn't care beyond wanting to sleep with her, but she already knew that. Why did it still hurt? She shoved the phone back in her purse and joined the group heading to the truck.

"Everything okay?" Emma asked as Maria caught up.

"How couldn't it be?" Maria raised her palm to the bright, fluffy cloud-dotted skies and stunning surroundings.

"Tong said we're visiting some temples and gardens next."

He slung an arm around Emma's shoulder. "The beautiful King and Queen pagodas."

The perfect distraction for shutter-happy tourists like themselves. Once they arrived, Tom indulged Emma and Prae's requests for photos of the girls together on the steps leading up to the pagoda, on the bridges, beside the elaborate flower gardens, all with grins Maria couldn't compete with. In the future, she'd want to look back on these moments like Sunshine did while stuck at home, but Maria's cheeks were raw from smiling. She just wanted to take it easy.

She walked off from the group, admiring the rainbow colours of the flowers and the beautiful mountains in the distance. Before she was aware of her actions, she pulled out her phone to ask Mitch how he was enjoying Southern Thailand. If her texts bothered him, he wouldn't have sent any of his own.

Mitch: It's missing a hottie in an orange bikini ; )

Her heart raced. He's just teasing you. Remember what he did when you tried to follow through. She'd have to keep things light as it was extra challenging to tell what he meant over text.

Maria: I think Tom packed one. Want pics?

Mitch: Haha, I'll let you keep Carrot Top and his matching swimwear all to yourself for now.

"What are you smiling at?" Prae asked from a nearby path.

"Oh, just a message my sister sent," Maria said, tucking away her phone. "Is it nice to be home?"

Prae laughed. "It will be when we arrive."

"Classic Tom. Has to make the most of every minute."

Prae glanced back over to where he and her brother chatted. "It's a new country for all of you. I can't blame him for wanting to see as much as he can. In a different place, I would do the same."

"I would find the best food and spend the day eating."

"My family is preparing many specialties for us," Prae said with a broad grin. "You won't be disappointed."