Chapter 33 - Mountain Warmth (Maria)

Photo by Ash Edmonds from Unsplash

***

Roosters cried out as a ray of sunshine heated Maria's forehead. An even warmer body pressed against her back while an arm draped over her waist. Yesterday's rice wine left her head hazy, but she remembered Tom, the way his red curls caught between her fingers, his soft lips. She smiled, not sure if her feelings or the wine's lingering effects brought on the giddiness.

A swishing noise grew louder, but Maria kept her eyes closed, determined to enjoy a bit more snuggle sleep until she lost all feeling in her numb shoulder and hip.

"Aork pai jaak tee-nee!" Wan's voice came from Maria's right. The older woman muttered in Thai, and Tom's chest rumbled with laughter against Maria's back. He stirred and sat up, exposing her bare shoulders to the cool morning mountain air.

"I think it's time for us to pack up." Tom rubbed a soft hand over her shoulder.

Maria yawned then jolted, seeing how close they'd slept to the edge of the terraced yard leading to the gardens. A few more feet and she'd splash into a natural mud bath. She rolled around, her arm and leg tingling in pain as blood returned to her fingers and toes.

Tom extended a hand from his standing position.

"I tell you we can open bed-and-breakfast." Tong's jovial voice echoed in the valley. "See, you give farang a nice bed, they sleep on rocks instead. Mountain-view! Fifteen beds here, thirty in front. And you were so worried about their opinions."

Maria, who'd risen to her feet, turned around to check the audience they'd drawn. Prae sat in a wooden chair, hands cupping a steaming wooden bowl. When Maria met her gaze, Prae smiled weakly.

"How was your night?" Prae croaked.

Maria glanced up, catching Tom's hazel eyes. His smile made his cheeks dimple in an adorable way.

"We had a great time," Maria said. "How was yours?"

Prae bit her lip. "Good." She sipped a hot drink, her vacant gaze on the mountains. Tom inclined his head toward an empty chair beside Prae and looked at Maria. She approached it.

"Tong, Emma's wondering if we cut up few bamboo stalks for cups like she saw in the house to take back for souvenirs," Tom said.

"Souvenirs? See, Prae! This is a tourist house!" Tong exclaimed.

Prae shook her head and sighed.

"They'd be extra special if she knew you made them," Tom said to Tong.

Maria suppressed her laugh as she slid into the seat next to Prae. Tom's classroom experience must have made dealing with young adults acting like teens quite natural.

Tong nodded. "You are right."

"Maybe I can come," Tom said. "Carve one myself if there's anything left."

"Good idea, Tom Cruise, you are a smart man. Maria is a lucky girl."

Tom's gaze lingered on her long enough for her cheeks to grow hot. "I think I'm the luckier one."

Once the guys took off, Prae chewed her lip, still staring off at the mountain range.

"How are you doing?" Maria asked. "Like really doing, not this 'everything's fine' dance we always start with."

Prae blew across her tea, sending steam up toward the blue sky. "Last night was very... what's the English expression... to make me understand clearly."

"Eye-opening?" Maria suggested.

Prae nodded and took a slow sip of her tea. "Sakda does not want a relationship until I leave my job in Bangkok and move here. Even if I moved after the school year, he is unsure and probably would not wait."