PART - TWELVE

"Hey manik, where are you? I am back at home already," said alia over the phone.

"I am coming, I'll be there in an hour," replied MM and hung up. nandini was standing at the balcony, preparing herself for another seemingly never ending night of her life.

MM hugged her from behind and said, "I will have to go nandu." She just nodded her head giving approval, without looking in his eyes, lest he saw the tears forming in the corner. Nandini stood in the balcony for a long time, looking at the crashing waves on the shore.

*

Nandini's third movie released all over the country, but unfortunately it had a lukewarm response. The first week barely made any collection at the box office.

All over the tabloids flashed the same headlines, "Is nandini just another one-film wonder? A director's pet who has no talent of her own?" They claimed her second movie's success was solely because of madhyam singhania.

Ritik was going through the accounts files in his office when MM barged in. "MM? What happened? Are you all right?" asked ritik looking a tensed MM.

"ritik, can you get hold of financers who can invest 100 crores in our movie?" asked MM.

"100 crores? Why MM? Why would you need so much money for your film?"

"I will remake Mughal-E-Azam with nandini as the new Anarkali. It is a period film, and I want it to be much grander than the original one, as never before seen in this industry. She will reign the screen with her acting prowess, but to compliment that I want everything else to be an exquisite grandeur," said MM while his eyes spoke of the dream he was desperate to make true.

"MM, please have a seat and think logically. You know that Mughal-E-Azam has been a legend in this industry, not only for its splendor and brilliant performance, but also because it had made a huge number of producers bankrupt during the making. I appreciate your aspiration, but MM my production house does not have people with so much finesse and experience to put up something so grand. Moreover, the country's economy is going down the drain with every passing week this year. There will not be a single financer in the current market scenario who would risk so much money," ritik tried to explain.

Seeing MM not at all convinced he continued saying, "I know you are upset with the press attacking nandini's talent, but don't you think this is too much to risk, in such a vulnerable time?"

"Even you know it ritik, that you will not lose money in this, instead make a fortune out of it. No problem, I will wait for your consent," said MM and stormed out of the office.

Ritik had to buckle under finally on MM's continual insistence. Again the press started going gaga over the new venture which would be the epitome of magnificence in Indian cinema, never seen before. The singh production house geared up itself for the new challenge.

Ritik wanted to cast madhyam singhania in Salim's role, but MM refused in a forceful. "I do not want madhyam to steal the spotlight from nandini again. This will be solely centered on Anarkali. We can cast someone less prominent opposite her," opined MM to a flabbergasted ritik.

"You have completely lost it MM!! Do you think people will come to see this 100 crores movie for some random newbie? This movie will be on the floor only when Madhyam is in it," stated ritik. So, in this regard MM decided to listen to his producer.