•11: Stay Happy•

Start from the beginning

"Thank you Adekunle" I said but it wasn't very loud. I doubt he even heard me.

He blinked. Looked at me. Smiled a brief smile and made his way over to my bed.

Now that I think about it, we're still wearing uniforms.

Adekunle sat down at the edge of the bed, being smart to put distance between us.

He took in a deep breath and released it. "You know, you scared the life out of me today" he said, laughing under his breath but it sounded void of humour. He looked up to the ceiling and released a shaky breath.

"Why do you care? Why are you so concerned about me? I'm grateful for today but I really need to know. We just became friends so there must be something more to it" I spilled out what was on my mind which caused him to look at me with a faint smile on his lips.

"It'll probably sound like I'm spitting bull but I care because I feel connected to you in a way, I don't really know. I always have this strong urge to look after you. I feel like you being in my life, is like a way for me to ammend my past mistakes" he said while looking at me and I swear I could feel the intensity in his eyes shooting through me like laser beams.

What did he mean though? Amend his past mistakes? Urge to look after me? Connection?

My brain was rushing with so much questions that I couldn't even concentrate on anything.

"What do you mean?" I had to ask after I  had processed what I could. I needed nothing more but answers right now.

"Well you see, I once had a twin sister"...

Adekunle Orenuga

I took in a shaky breath. I haven't told anyone about my sister except Timilehin and damn was it terrible. Losing someone who felt like your lifeline is probably the most turtorous thing a person has to go through because you feel like your heart has been legit ripped apart. You feel like your purpose has been taken from you. Like your a lost soul without a guardian in an unknown realm.

"What happened to her?" Star asked in a weak, quiet voice.

She looked so concerned and vulnerable. Funny how that's the emotions I'm meant be feeling. Her presence always had a way of calming me down.

"Can I hold your hand?" I asked her because I really needed that physical assurance to know she's there.

She hesitated but eventually stretched out her pretty, slick fingers that she called a hand. I reached out to her hand and gripped it reassuringly, her soft yet hard textured palm giving me this calming relief.

"She died" I simply stated. Shockingly, it didn't hurt as bad as the last time I said it. I was even expecting to have an emotional breakdown.

"Oh" was all she said.

I shot her a brief smile so she would know I'm not that affected even though deep down, I know I am.

"She died of an asthma attack" I continued. I expected Star to say something but she remained silent but calmly squeezed my hand which I knew was a silent message that said 'I'm here for you. I'm not gonna disturb or intrude. Just pour your heart out if you feel the need to. I'm listening' and I felt extremely grateful for that.

"Yinka and I were inseparable. We never went anywhere without each other. We looked out for each other like normal twins would. Fought, advised, played and all that fun stuff" I said, smiling, remembering the memories. Star only squeezed my hand again.

"I always made fun of her though. Teased her and annoyed the hell out of her. She would always pout and report to our mom or tried to give a comeback which always resulted in more insults" I laughed under my breath, remembering how she always whined when I insulted her. We were happy kids.