Prologue

“Do you know why Hera is so afraid of me?”

Zeus, the so-called might Ruler of Olympus, brooded at me with his golden eyes. And in the middle of the deafening silence, the serene island of clouds became thunderous, making me wary of his anxious thoughts. Strikes of lightning flickered in the clouds as if they were fishes swimming in the ocean. 

“What did you say?” His voice may appear calm, but his action says otherwise.

Wala sa sarili akong napangisi. Hindi ko naman gusto na siya ang makasama sa training na ‘to, ngunit para matalo namin ang mga Titans kailangan kong tiisin na ang nakaka-badtrip niyang prisensya. Bukas-sara ang bibig ang naging sagot niya sa ‘kin tila ba may nais siyang sabihin sa akin, ngunit mas pinili niyang manahimik na lamang.

Bakit kasi kailangan pang kasama ang mga Gods sa training? Hindi ko trip ang family bonding na ‘to!

Ibalik niyo ako sa Demigods Academy!

“My dear daughter…”

I flinched. Yuck! I looked at Zeus straight in the eyes. The clouds leisurely calmed down so was my father; he looked away and sat beside me as if he was readying himself for the story he was about to tell.

Silence became deafening. He failed to utter any word. Nakailang bilang na ata ako ng tupa rito pero wala pa rin siyang sinasabi. Hindi ko alam kung dinodogshow ba ako nito o ano e. Ang gusto ko lang naman ay masagot ang tanong ko, ang tanong ko na mula sa pagmumulat sa ‘kin ni Apara.

I never questioned who I was before. All my life, I have only acknowledged myself as the daughter of the God of the Sky. But… was I ever heard of my mother’s name?

I heaved a sigh, and looked at him. “Do you know my mother’s name?” Malamang alam niya. Tanga ka ba, Sue?

“I know.” I couldn’t understand him at all. Not today, not even before when he was still my dear beloved father. “But… I cannot tell you.”

Tanginang tatay ‘to!

He looked at me with his downcast eyes. I forcefully shut my eyes, and bitterly smiled. Kahit ilang taon pa rin ang lumipas, hindi ko pa rin talaga magawang tumingin sa kanya nang maayos.

Zeus… Zeus was my living weakness, the main reason why I do not like being with him. Because if he cannot look truthfully in my eyes, I am the same as him. All the pain he had caused kept on coming back whenever I heard or uttered his name. And now that I am with him, the scar concealed started to hurt.

I thought I was already okay, but apparently, I am not.

“Do you… do you know why I am afraid of you?” I carefully asked, opening my eyes.

Isang hindi makapaniwalang tingin ang binigay niya sa ‘kin. “You are afraid of me?”

“I am…” I answered truthfully. “I am afraid of being abandoned by you once again.”

“No. I didn’t abandon you,” Zeus justified. He sighed and sincerely looked at me. “You are my daughter. You are special to me. And that’s why I named you after me, my beautiful daughter.”

“Don’t make me feel good about—”

“You’ll understand soon enough.” He looked at the sea of clouds. His eyes were serious, yet there was this emotion that I couldn’t explain beyond it. “Listen carefully, Sue.”

“What?”

“The day will come when you will be able to claim your rightful place. Seize it, and don’t let anyone take it from you. Always remember, you are my daughter, the daughter of the God of the Sky, and the Ruler of Olympus.”