Love at First Letter - 23

Start from the beginning

It was late when we got back to Brett's house. All of the lights in the house were on and when we walked inside, Brett's family were sitting around the kitchen table. "You two made it just in time," Brett's mother smiled at us and stood from her seat. She grabbed two plates and placed them at the table. "I hope you two are hungry."

"Starved." Sarah and I chorused and took our seats at the table. I was sat to the right of Brett and Sarah was sat to the right of me. We quickly joined hands and said grace before piling up the food onto our tables.

"How was your day?" Brett asked me once we were done with dinner and sat on his bed. I was pressed up against his side and his arm was slung underneath my head. I wrapped my arm around his waist and buried my face in his chest.

"Long. They just keep asking me the same questions over and over again. And I know that sounds incredibly ungrateful, but I just want to go see my Uncle and make sure everything is okay."

"Then why don't you go see him and take a break?" Brett rested his chin on the top of my head and let his thumb trace circles on the exposed skin on my hip.

"I have a job to do. I have to go and promote my book. If I don't then people don't buy my book and I don't get paid and Sarah doesn't get paid and then we're out of a job and then I can't pay for my house and then I'm living on the street--" I was cut off when Brett lifted my chin and let my lips meet his. They slowly moved together in a passionate dance. I pulled away and pecked his lips once more.

"It's cute watching you ramble, but you're not going to lose your house and live on the streets because you miss a few interviews." He said to me. "Plus, like you said, they are all asking the same questions."

It was tempting, going up to see my family, but I couldn't do it. I had to stay here and do my job. I signed a contract and I wasn't going to back out of it. Plus, I couldn't give up on Sarah either. "I have to do this. I'll just go and put on a smile and answer the questions like I have been doing."

"Okay, but promise me that if it gets to be too much, you'll take a break and go see your family."

"I promise."

I close my eyes and burrow my face into his chest that was void of any shirt. I knew I should get up and go to bed in the room I was staying in but I couldn't seem to make myself move. Brett's fingers run through my hair and I sighed.

"My sisters want to have a girls day tomorrow." I faintly remember murmuring a response before completely falling asleep.

When Brett and I woke up the next morning it was to giggling and a camera flashing. I groaned and wrapped my arms around Brett's waist even tighter. I opened my eyes and turned my head toward the three figures standing at the edge of the bed. Brett's younger sisters were laughing and his mother was standing with a camera pressed against her eye and taking countless of pictures.

"Seriously mom?" I felt the vibrations of Brett's voice through his chest.

"I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I came in here to see if you wanted pancakes and didn't expect to find you two together." I blushed at her words.

"You two are clothes underneath that blanket aren't you?" Brandy asked which made my cheeks heat up more than they already were.

"Yes we are." To prove his point he flung the blanket off of us and showed them that we were indeed. Besides Brett being shirtless, we were clothed.

"Then come on," Brittany came up to me and grabbed my hand while Brandy pulled the other one. They flung me off of the bed and dragged me out of the room. "we have a lot to do today."