October 2021 - Interview JJ Ames

Start from the beginning

JJ: Right, every story I have written begins with a single idea.

Dark Path is the back story and the foundation for the series. A story of abduction leading to a much larger problem of human trafficking. There are stories that pop up from time to time about people surviving human trafficking and about eight years ago I began researching human trafficking numbers, victims and those who abuse and use others.

I then find an angle that I feel comfortable telling the story from and the characters needed to tell the story. I am not a planner or an outliner, but I know where I want to get to. I know the people I want standing at the end.

Sophie: Yes, human trafficking. It's significant that you brought that up. It became apparent to me that you are interested in telling stories mostly issues on human trade slavery, which are sadly not explored very often. What influences do you believe lead you to this?

JJ: The motivation is knowing it is more prevalent in the world than anyone is aware of. Canada, USA also have these problems and it tears families apart.

I had a good family life and others deserve the same shot at life.

Sophie: I noticed that some of your stories would have characters immersing in their dreams and even interacting with the deceased in their dreams. What was your perspective in writing such scenes/plots and the reason behind it?

JJ: I find that since my mother passed, I dream of her more often. When I write the scenes, they should portrait that we are more than just life and death. This is a personal belief... that once a life is created it never really dies. Wishful thinking maybe but one never knows. I guess I believe in life after death. Not coming back as another in another time but continuing on.

Sophie: If anyone who is familiar with your works would agree that 'Life' is a different ball game. I know I am 😁. What inspired you to write romantic story like 'Life'? What were your visions when you first started drafting it?

JJ: Drafting? Just thought I would try my hand at romance. I mean I write about love in all my novels, but I wanted to prove to myself I could write it.

I wanted a happy ending, but I didn't want the reader to know that was preconceived. I wanted to have depth like the great romance novels had. And the way to romance, for me, is through personal struggles. The inspiration? Not having it in my life lol.

Sophie : Coming back to Life, the romance between Gwen and Jeremy is one of my personal favourite tropes, from (somewhat) enemies to lovers, and the discovery of oneself, opens up to connection with others. What are some other tropes and relationships you would like to explore?

JJ: I believe Gwen and Jeremy only misunderstood each other...that is always an easier trope to overcome.

I want to see is my character, Jimmy an forgive the killer of his girlfriend, Lana. An even bigger one is forgiving the mother of his daughter. These will take place over the series of the novels.

Another trope would be married couple knowing love no longer exist...then the ramifications of choosing the different lives. There may be actual names for these tropes, but I am really not a student of literature.

Sophie: While writing, do you prefer to be accompanied with music/relaxing sounds to get you focus? Or do you prefer silences?

JJ: I am a music person. I also write outside when the weather allows me to. Music can put me in the proper mood...happy, sad, angry, sneaky...lol

Sophie: This is something so random, if you could hangout with your favorite celebrity for a day, who would you choose and what would you do?

JJ: What a great question. Reading Forever Young would answer this question for the older crowd but for those not familiar with old musicians, the artist known as Bob Dylan is an idol to me. My only idol. Not for his success in music, or the money he has made but for his knowledge.

I would start the day talking about the people he has met, and how they influenced his life. I would not ask about his songs or what he does for enjoyment, we would not share much in common. He is a person who has seen many things in his life but, for me, getting to know about the people in his life seems more interesting.

He won the Nobel Prize for literature and he spoke with a passion for literature and how words can help change situations and circumstances.

The funny thing about Bob Dylan for me was I never knew he was more than who he was...

Sophie: OhBob Dylan is an all-time legend. He is evergreen, will ever obsolete. And him winning noble prize is indeed a remarkable achievement.

And that wraps up our interview. I really appreciate your time, JJ. Thank you so much. And I wish you every success in your future endeavours.

                                ~~~~~~~~~~

The review of Life is available at your disposal by clicking here.

Until next time, take care & stay safe everyone! 😊