Chapter 16: Tree house

Tessara blinked severally. And then slowly, very slowly, she stared at him. His eyes met hers and he smiled.
His single smile was so warm, Tessara could feel the heat.
She didn't say anything to him, she drew in a sniffle and exhaled. His words still roaming her head.

Did he say pretty?

"It's getting cold Tessara. We don't want to spend another day here do we?" He said to her, still with the alluring smile on his face, "go find your sister. You two need to sort things out."

She finally replied with a nod.

"She went that way", Kris said pointing northwards towards the woods, "any idea where she could be?"

"She went to the tree house", Tessara tucked her hair behind her ears and wiped her cheeks with her hands, "it's um, always been a solitude for years, nothing's changed that."

"Go talk to her then", Kris took her hand in his palm and squeezed it gently, "I know you didn't mean any of the words you said to her, you're a good person Tess. I see it in you."

For a moment she froze. Her breath slowed down and she wished this moment could be captured forever.
Sometimes, all we need is for the right person to tell us the right things.
The feeling of his hand on hers, gently gripping it was absolutely unexplainable. She didn't want to blink or move so they'd both remain that way but then he took his hand off and she snapped back to reality; he was just a friend who cared.

"Fine. I'll go find her."

She picked up her shoes , put them on and stood up from the floor.

"And...", Kris stood up too, "I'm truly sorry about everything my daughter said yesterday and how I tried to dismiss it. But I really want you to know that I'm always going to listen if you ever wanna talk."

She wanted to lie and tell him that she was never going to want to tell him anything but she instead gave him a small nod and walked out the door.

                •♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•

"Is there any problem Miss?"

The lady asked. Her eyes darting from  Aimee who was glowing smugly to a very distraught looking Jesse who was repeatedly dialing on her phone.

"No Sadie", Aimee replied.

"We're good", Jesse concurred briefly looking up at the unsmiling middle aged woman with dark curly hair and a face that betrayed her age.

Sadie was the housekeeper who Kris had left in charge. He always left someone to keep watch over his daughter in his absence especially now that she was left alone with someone she absolutely detested and vice versa just in case they decided to tear down his house before his return.

"Sure? Someone was yelling?" Her expression was so serious, she stared at Aimee strictly, "was it you?"

"It was nothing Sadie",  she replied thickly, "I was only talking to Jesse."

She stared at both of them for a while, disbelief in her eyes. I wasn't like the tension between them wasn't evident. Jesse paid less attention. After Aimee had mindlessly revealed her sister's disappearance to her, she had been trying Tessara's number but it didn't go through and Mira wasn't picking her calls.

After a long sigh, Sadie walked away, her footsteps receding down the foyer.

Aimee was filled with irritation as she watched Jesse who was still trying to call her sisters.

"Hopefully, something awful has happened to the both of them", she huffed, "then they wouldn't have to bother my father ever again."

"Oh, your father", Jesse replied sarcastically, "he is with them, isn't he? I guess you're hoping awful happens to him too, isn't that right?"

Aimee glowered. She clenched her fists tightly.
"Don't try to be smart here. My dad got dragged into this only because you're sisters are—"

"Are what?" Jesse snapped. She had become furious as well, she put her phone aside and glared at Aimee full on, "one stupid word and you're gonna regret it."

"What? Are you gonna do? Hit me in my own house?"

"Well, don't push me."

"And who exactly do you think you—"

They were interrupted when Sadie cleared her throat loudly, she was standing by a corner and staring at the both of them crossly.

"Ladies, this doesn't look like studying to me."

"Oh, hell."
Jesse groaned and collapsed on the couch behind them. She hadn't realized she had been standing very close to Aimee. No doubt, a fight would've ensued if Sadie had not intervened.

She unzipped her bag and took out a textbook, she glanced at Sadie who was still watching.
Aimee reluctantly sat down next to Jesse but there was a considerable distance between them.

"How about we use the study?" She suddenly suggested with a devilish grin.

"Not happening", Sadie replied sharply, even before Jesse could say a word, "I'm gonna be right here watching you two studying together the whole time."

"Great." Aimee muttered almost silently, "you can also throw me out of the window."

"I would love to see that happen", Jesse also muttered through her teeth.

              •♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•♥•

The treehouse was still the same, nothing had changed about it.
It didn't seem like any of the branches or leaves had fallen off, it didn't look old, it was just the same way Tessara remembered it.
Even if it wasn't her favourite spot because back when they lived here, Tessara felt a little too old to climb up the small ladder at the foot of the treehouse, Jesse and Mira never let a day pass without spending some time in the house.

Tessara found her sister sitting at the foot of the treehouse with a long face, the ladder dangling above her head. They stared at each other briefly before Tessara finally sat beside her with a sigh.

She didn't speak immediately. She waited for Mira to tell her to go away or to leave her alone. Mira didn't say anything she rested her chin on her knees and stared at the floor covered with green grasses.

"Let me guess",  Tessara spoke up, "you couldn't climb up the ladder."

Mira chuckled.

Tessara felt relieved, this was a good start.

"Yeah, you're right. I guess I'm too old now."

"It's crazy. Nothing has changed, right?"

"I can't believe it myself", Mira's eyes lit up, "it's been what? Like...twenty fucking years!"

"Ah", Tessara looked at the tall shady trees above, "all the memories we made here Mira, I still remember it all like it was yesterday. God, I love this place so much. It's so peaceful. That's why I came here."

"And the house? It's in ruins Tess."

"Doesn't change anything. Sometimes, I've asked myself why we had to move to the city. This place was our entire life, everything was great with dad...and mom and us. Things started falling apart when we left. We never should have."

"It is what it is Tess", Mira shrugged, "it's not like we can go back in time and change things now."

Tessara exhaled loudly and wrapped her arms around herself. It was getting cold and evening was near. They could hear the sloshing of ocean, the waves rising and falling against rocks.

"I'm sorry Mira", she said almost silently, "I didn't mean any of what I said. I'm just so caught up in a web right now, I feel like I can't —"

Mira stopped her, "you don't need to explain anything to me."

"No listen", Tessara  continued, "you were right, I'm jealous. Your life isn't a fairy tale, it's perfect and I'm not good enough, I don't deserve what you have."

Mira stared at her sister with soft eyes, Tessara had her face bent to the floor.
Mira wrapped her hands around her, "the truth is...I don't want to get married."

Tessara eyes widened. She stared at Mira with disbelief.