Chapter 13: Missing

Kris knocked on the door. Once. Twice.
There was a faint response from inside.
He turned the door knob and walked in.

Aimee was standing by the balcony,  a small frown crept unto her face when she saw her father as if to say he was disturbing her morning.

He joined her on the balcony not minding the expression on her face and her refusal to greet him.

"You didn't come down for breakfast, I've been waiting", he told her.

"I'm not hungry...yet."

"Hmm", he replied dryly with a nod, "how's your head? You slept well?"

"Do you really need to ask? I know you brought the doctor in last night even after I'd told you not."

"Yes, I know but it was the best thing to do."

"So what did he say?" Aimee's lips were firmly pressed to one side.

"Umm...", Kris was hesitating, "anyway you were right, he said you were fine. Although he could've examined you better but you were asleep."

"Dad, do you think it's okay to sneak someone into my room late at night without my permission?" She bit her lower lip and muttered to herself, "I'm gonna get a lock this time."

"Dr Brown isn't anyone. Wait, how did you know he was here?" Kris raised a brow.

Aimee didn't reply.
"I'll be down for breakfast in a moment", she said instead.

"Don't bother. I instructed that your breakfast be sent to your room."

"Great!" Aimee exclaimed as she pressed her lips into a thin fake smile and left the balcony. She grabbed her phone from where it was lying on her bed and sat on an armchair, "then I'll just sit here and wait for my breakfast."

"You know, I was hoping we could talk first."
Kris said with a sigh as he came and stood in front of her but she was too busy with her phone to look up at him.

"About?"

Her phone chimed she smiled widely as she stared into her screen, tapping continuously.
She always did this whenever she wanted to put off her father. This was her deliberate and usual way of paying no attention.

"A lot of things", Kris sat close on her bed, "I told you last night we needed to have a serious conversation. I need to be at work but I can make time."

Aimee was now giggling, "yeah, yeah dad, I'm listening."
Of course she wasn't.

Kris frowned, "don't try to piss me off Aimee. Put your phone away we need to talk."

She groaned loudly and set the phone aside, "okay, fine. Talk to me."

"I was hoping we could talk about what happened yesterday."

"Okay. What happened yesterday?" She stared at her father as if she was clueless.

"Don't try to be smart with me, you—"

A knock on the door interrupted them. Aimee jumped from the chair with delight, "ah! Look at that, breakfast is here."

She walked to the door and opened the door revealing a young woman carrying a food tray. She ushered the woman in and she served Aimee's breakfast. When she was done, she walked away.

"Dad now, I think about it...I'm very famished, I—"

Her father had let out a loud annoying chuckle.
"I see what you're trying to do Aimee but you cannot avoid this discussion forever. God, you keep acting like a child."