Chapter 11: Wrongly Interrupted

She was standing in front of him for a few seconds but he seemed not to notice. He was busy with his phone and from the way he was dressed, she could tell he was about to go out.
She could clearly hear the thumping of her heart in her ears.

This was awkward. Why wasn't he looking up at her?

The woman who let her in had walked away, leaving the both of them to talk but Tessara had to clear her throat before Kris became aware of her presence.

At first, he stared at her without saying anything.
She wondered who had to be the first one to speak.

"You asked to see me?" He raised his brows.

"Um, yeah", Tessara shifted uncomfortably, clutching her Dior purse in front of her with both hands. She had tried not to dress up too much, "is it a good time?"

He nodded,  "sure. Do you want to sit?"

"No", she shook her head, "I...I j-just came by to say thank you for last night. I might've gotten into real trouble if you weren't there. And, um, sorry you had to get into a fight and hurt yourself because of me. I hope your injuries are better now?"

"Yes, Tessara. I'm fine. Thank you."
She was grateful that at least he sounded warm.

"Um, you're welcome. And even if you don't want me or my sister back at your club", she rubbed her nose, " I'll always be thankful for your help. Besides, I think my clubbing days are over."

Kris chuckled, "I was pissed last night Tessara but it's fine, the doors of La Macarena are open to you and your sister anytime, as long as you don't cause any more trouble."

Seriously?
Even if lifting the ban wouldn't do Tessara much good, because she was pretty sure she'd never visit a club again, she knew Jesse would be very glad to hear. Mira too.
Was Kris really this nice?

"Thank you, I appreciate", there was a big smile on her face, "um, I really should get going. Thanks for having me."

"Is that all?"

"What?"

"Is that all you came to say?"

She stared at him confused.
Should there be more?

"Y-yeah...I guess..."

Kris slid his phone into his pocket and took a few steps towards her.

"Don't you wanna tell me why you did what you did last night? Don't you think you owe it to me?"

Tessara stuttered. How could she explain it to him?
She just said the first thing that came into her mind.

"I was drunk."

"You're a bad liar."

"Excuse me?"

"Juan was found unconscious in his apartment this morning with two dead ladies", his stare turned cold, "drug overdose, Melissa. You could've been one of them."

"W-what?" Her purse almost dropped from her hands, she looked like she had seen a ghost.

"You heard me."

"Y-Y-You're lying."

"Why would I?"

She took a moment to calm herself, sighing loudly.

"I-I-I'm shocked...I-I don't know what to say."

"Why did you want to leave with him last night?"

"I cannot tell you!"

"No, I think you're hiding something very grave here."

She didn't reply.

"You're not going to say anything, are you?"