She joined me and looked at the box. Her sunglasses dropped to the floor.

'What's this mean?' she said hoarsely.

'I don't know.'

Glaring up at us, so blatant as to be obscene, were the words Baines & Grayle. An Egyptian wedjat eye was stamped underneath.

I cleared my throat to get Mavis' attention. 'Mavis, how long has Cora been taking these?' My voice sounded hollow.

Mavis swayed as she broke from shocked reverie. 'The panaceatemol? The doctor switched her onto them about a year ago now, I think.'

'Why?'

'Thought it was worth trying. I feel they're doing some good, love. We've seen improved muscle control. She can sit for longer and she's better at swallowing.' Mavis sounded hopeful, but her face fell as she took in my expression. 'What's wrong, love?'

It was hard work, keeping the hysterics out of my voice. 'You take her off them. Right now, you hear? You don't give her this drug any more.'

Her eyes crinkled in sympathy. 'I don't decide that, Mr Hansard. And you don't, either. You're not a family member.'

'She has no family,' I hissed through my teeth. 'I'm as good as she's got.'

'Believe me, I wish it could be that way. But there's paperwork.' Mavis tapped her clipboard. 'Lots of paperwork. Why don't you want her on these pills? I promise, I think they're making a difference.'

I glanced at Cora, where I saw no difference at all. 'Please Mavis. Can't you put a word in?' I thought suddenly of Julie. 'Tell the doctor she's suffering bad side effects! That's why I'm worried. She could even be allergic . . .'

Mavis clacked her teeth and gave me such a look that I knew I must have sounded a touch pathetic. 'Jack, in all these years, you've never once mentioned anything about Cora having an allergy.' She sighed. 'But if it's really worrying you, I'll see what I can do.' Taking hold of the trolley, she rattled out the door. 'No promises, love.'

'We could steal 'em,' Ang said, when she was out of earshot.

'The tablets? No. They'll only get more. How many other residents are they treating with . . . with . . .' I could barely bring myself to say it. The words whooshed out of me in a frothing mouthful of rage. 'Bloody Baines and Grayle! Pharmaceuticals? Ha! Are we supposed to believe they're – what, scientists? Doctors? There's something awful going on here, Ang, and I have no goddamn clue what their game might be. None at all. None at all!'

'Aye, gwas. I hears ye.' Ang sucked her teeth. 'Why ain't we heard this before, you think? Seems right brass o' them, t'be doing business so openly.'

'Maybe it's not their real business. Maybe it's a front,' I hazarded wildly. 'It can't be as simple as . . . this. Except, obviously it can.' I slumped into a chair. 'We've been asking in the wrong circles, Ang. We should've just gone down the bloody pharmacy.'

I rubbed my face. I'd been expecting to find some presence of Baines and Grayle here. But not this. Not horribly entwined with Cora's care. I'd expected an assassin, that's what Quiet Eyes had made it sound like . . .

'Whassat, gwas?' Ang said sharply.

'What?'

'You was muttering. About the quiet-eyed ast.' Ang's grey eyes drilled into me. 'How's it that she said somethin' to you?'

'Oh, Christ.'

She'd flung off her disguise, clearly intent on having this barney in more accustomed attire. I briefly wondered if she could throw a punch, and how much it would hurt if she did.