Chapter-8

I decided to get breakfast first thing in the morning, I had learnt my lesson from yesterday. Gabriel recommend some nice restaurants to stop by, but I decided to head to Hotel Martinez. Was that extremely cliché of me? Yes, but how can you come to Cannes and not stop by there?

I put on my best "I'm very wealthy" outfit and walked to the hotel, unlike the hotels I had seen so far, The hotels on this boulevard were basically the image of serenity. No crowds, no pushing and shoving; Just people that looked like if you touched them their clothes would wrinkle.

I got a table at the rooftop restaurant and admired the view of Cannes from up here, I could see the yachts in the water, they looked like freckles in the sea from up here.

"Emiko Nohara, did you send me flowers? You do know I have a girlfriend right?" That familiar but annoying voice distracted me. I looked to my left and was greeted by his eyes, smiling playfully.

"If you don't like them you can throw them away." I responded, looking down at the menu on the table. The nerve of this man, he decided to take a seat in the chair and just awkwardly sit there until
I was done reading the menu.

"I never said I hated them, they're nice. No one's ever gotten me flowers before."

"And why exactly are you sitting here? Don't you have things to do, places to be at?" I asked him.

"Getting breakfast. Technically I should be asking you that, what are you doing at MY hotel?"

"I didn't know you were staying here." I admitted.

"Then how did the flowers and thank you note make their way to my room?" He smirked.

His smirk, it was going to be the death of me. Sometimes I felt like slapping it off his face and other times...

"Gabriel took care of the delivery aspect, you do know you're very irritating right? Like it makes me want to not be kind to you at all."

"And yet you sent me flowers-"

"Oh my gosh just go bury your face in them." I rolled my eyes at him.

"You're so fun to irritate." He laughed. "Okay, that's besides the point of why I came to your table."

"What was the purpose of this visit?"

"The flowers don't fix anything, I'm still a little hurt." He pretended to wipe a tear away.

"The flowers are about all I can do to make it up to you."

"What a shame." He sighed, "I had tickets to watch Les Enfants du Paradis at the Espace Miramar."

Now that, piqued my curiosity. Only a fool would not want to participate in something so cliché- watching an old French movie in an equally historic cinema hall. I was way too proud to admit that sounded wonderful, and I was one hundred percent sure it was a bad idea too.

"You just mentioned having a girlfriend, why don't you go watch the movie with her?" I gave him a patronising smile.

"She isn't in Cannes, besides I'm not asking you out or anything. I just don't like watching movies alone."

"I'm pretty sure you have other friends."

"You can just say no, I won't be hurt." He smiled sincerely. Now at this point, I genuinely felt bad about the way I was acting towards him. I wanted to come off indifferent, not rude! Besides, movie tickets!

"No no no! I'll come! We're watching a movie." I said, "but first I want to eat."

"Oh yeah same!"