Chapter-26

Laura left and so did Charles, now I was left all alone to face a barrage of questions from Baba and Kenji. I continued washing the dishes as slow as I could so as to delay having a conversation for as long as I could.

The silence was eerie, so I gave up and entered the living room. Almost instantly, Baba shot all of her questions at me. I sat there, answering each one of them until she was content.

Time flew by, Charles texted me that he'd be here to pick me up in 30 minutes. And then it hit me, this was all very real- I wasn't dreaming! I had to pinch myself to wake up from this state of realisation.

How were we going to go on our date without him attracting any sort of attention? How was I going to explain anything to my friends? I hadn't even told them I was in touch with Charles. They were definitely not going to take it well.

I did my hair and makeup, sat in my living room anxiously thinking about everything that could go wrong. The bell rang, I opened the door to his smiling face and everything on my mind didn't feel so significant anymore.

"These are for you." He said extending a bouquet of wild daisies.

I took them from him, taking a big sniff expecting them to have a good smell but nobody ever told me that they don't actually have a scent of any sort. He looked at the dissapointment on my face and laughed.

"I know! I wish they smelled as good as they look." He poked some more fun at me.

"Charles this date is about to end before it begins." I frowned.

"No it can't! I put on my best white shirt for it. Let's go!" He reached for my hand.

I held his hand and we were off to our date. There were butterflies in my stomach and they were not calming down, it didn't help when every once in a while he'd look away from the road to flash a smile at me.

There were moments of silence here and there, but they didn't feel awkward at all. I liked them, I could just take a moment to look at him, take it all in and just admire him for what he was. It was only the first date but it felt like this connection had existed for ages.

I insisted on splitting the bill but he said that we should strike a deal- the person that organises the date pays. Next time was going to be my turn and he told me that he was going to burn a hole in my pocket.

"I'd like to see you try." I laughed.

"Is this a challenge?" He arched his brows.

Gosh. I simply shrugged, trying to brush away the feelings that face he pulled kindled inside of me. He asked me if I just wanted to walk by the harbour, we didn't have to talk or anything. My heart said yes but my mind said no, we would be far too exposed and I hadn't even told anyone about us yet.

"You haven't told your friends have you?" He asked, taking a moment to figure out what I was thinking.

"I haven't. Think practically Charles, both my friends are your exes." I sighed, it wasn't the only judgement I was afraid of. I still remember the crude things people and tabloids had written about Charlotte, what makes it worse is the fact they were literal media houses hunting after a young girl.

I looked back at him, adjusting his shirt's collar uncomfortably. He didn't know what to say, so I told him what was on my mind.

"You know how cruel the media was to both my friends, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. If possible I don't want to be in that sort of situation."

"You won't be the one getting judged this time, it'll be me!" He laughed. "I can already think of some headlines."

I let out a belly laugh, I couldn't believe this guy. He was gladly making fun of himself, and he did so with a big grin on his face, unable to control his own laughter.

"Charles Leclerc, serial heartbreaker dates yet another girl from the same friend group." He smirked.

"That's a low jab! I was sobering up." I spluttered.

"It was one intense morning, don't you think so?"

"It was strange. Disorienting. I'm just glad I hadn't made stupid decisions the previous night." I admitted.

"Like?" He tilted his head.

"I don't want to talk about it." I shook my head.

"No secrets! You're seeing me now, you don't have anything to hide."

I was actually very vulnerable that evening. I drank so much hoping that I wouldn't have to think about you or Pierre. Whatever that bartender gave me- it was strong! Or I just have no tolerance.

Either way, the drink didn't do anything but make you seem like the only person present in the room. Fainting and being carried by you wasn't part of the plan at all, being near you was not part of the plan at all.

Yet I didn't mind the sensation of your arms around me at all, it felt nice. Hearing your heartbeat was so comforting, but sadly I had regained some sense of right and wrong. This unfortunately was ringing sirens in my head, so I let go. And then you were talking, talking a lot Charles! But all I could see was your lips.

"Is that all you're seeing even right now?" He closed the gap between us. Looking into my eyes, his eyes were sparkling. I thought about how I'll never get tired about the way they twinkle, the golden specks that looked more vibrant up close.

"Well, I don't know how to answer without sounding creepy, but then I also narrated intimate details of that evening-"

"Oh my gosh just kiss me already Emiko!" He held my face.

I literally froze under his touch, his hands were so warm. They held me so perfectly, I just wanted to stay like this for a minute. And when I had drunk it all in, I did what I had been craving to do, placing a gentle kiss on those lips.

And he came back for another, this moment felt enchanted. It felt like what looking at fireworks make you feel. I felt euphoric. All that pining, the pain, the distance-it had all been so worth it.

I gazed at him, what we had was going to be all or nothing. I knew this was either going to make me feel elated and I don't think there was going to be any going back. Oh gosh, this one is going to hurt.