#25: Pretty Like a Car Crash

Start from the beginning

"Depression?" Aj chimed in, "Isn't that just a fancy word for feeling 'bummed out'?"

Clint slammed his hand on the table, shaking the silverware, "Aj, you ignorant slut!"

Steve grinned and lifted a finger from the hand that was resting on his chin, "I got that reference."

"Congratulations, old timer." Tony replied, "Now pass me the mushed donuts that Aj dueled a homeless man for."

Food was passed around the table alongside stories and discussions of what the day had in store for them. Steve still couldn't tear his eyes off Aj though. She was vibrant and glowing. Things weren't perfect, he wasn't fool enough to believe that, but the storm had passed. The skies were finally clear after weeks of nothing but gray and rain. He could see the blue of those pretty skies in the glow of her bright eyes. Aj glanced over at him, and when their eyes met she gave him a broad smile. The kind of smile that people fought wars over, the kind that people painted masterpieces for, the kind that Steve would whether a million storms just to see one more time.

__________

If there was ever a way to test a new employee it was trial by fire, right? I really hadn't meant to throw Beth to the wolves while I lost my absolute mind for two weeks, but she had really stepped up and taken care of the PR scene in my absence. I told her I'd give her another raise and she politely told me to stop giving her raises for her just doing her job. Was this how Tony felt all the time? Regardless, Beth did amazing. So amazing that me coming back to work was easy, smooth, and non-eventful.

"Thank you so much, Beth. I'm naming my first-born child after you."

"Please", Beth held out her hands with a laugh, "Please stop offering me outrageous gifts, I did the bare minimum of a PR specialist. Are you really feeling better?"

I nodded, "Much better."

It wasn't even a lie. When people say, 'Don't underestimate a good night's sleep', I didn't realize how accurate they were. I've been sleeping an average of 10-12 hours these nights and each morning I woke up feeling a little better. The key was Bucky. Our daily talks had moved to bedtime. We'd talk like usual, but now instead of hanging up I just fell asleep listening to him and woke up with no memories of a nightmare. He was like medicine.

"On the docket this week, Bruce has an interview but that's it, and it's low stress. He's gonna be talking about one of his papers with a few other scientists invited to the event." Beth said. I nodded in acknowledgement. Bruce had to be excited for that. "There's also a meeting set for today? I...I actually just noticed it. It's in an hour?"

"Oh. That's an Avenger thing. I have that handled." I said quickly.

Beth nodded, "Okay! I'm gonna work with Natasha and Clint today with their accounts. Do you want me to go with Bruce for the interview later this week?"

I opened my mouth to tell her it was fine, but then I hesitated. Suddenly, my coat pocket felt a little heavier even though it only had a bottle of fish oil pills in it. If things went according to my plan, there might be a chance I was out of work later this week. I had texted Daisy yesterday and she told me, depending on the ability, that inhumans were a little unstable after terrigenesis.

"Can you take him?"

"With pleasure! Let me know if you need me!" Beth chirped and bounced away.

Quickly, I made my way toward the stairs to get to the Conference Room. It was empty right now and would be for another hour. The Avengers meeting planned for today was on the topic of me becoming inhuman. I had set the meeting, I planned it all, and was I also going to blindside the Avengers with this decision? Absolutely, yes. This morning was either going to go super great or super terrible.