Episode 9 - Beware x Of x Prisoners

Start from the beginning

"What kind of game?" Gon asks.

Sedokan reaches behind him, pulling out two candles. "We each light a candle at the same time. The one whose candle goes out first is the loser. What do you think?"

"Are prisoners allowed candles?" Alluka questions, "Or was Sedokan just allowed for this exam?"

"Oh, well I'm sure the warden wouldn't mind a few lovely scented candles here and there," Killua remarks, "Something to freshen the musky prison air and occasional bloody odour left from prison brawls. You know how it is, have a sniff over there, some rotting flesh, and then a sniff over here, ooh is that chamomile?"

"Yes, and then they gather enough candles to set the prison aflame," Kurapika adds wisely, "There's got to be some arsonists in Trick Tower."

"Yeah! That's easy to understand," Gon nods and gives a thumbs up, "Let's go with that."

"Okay. In that case..." Sedokan reveals the bottoms of the candles, showing that one is shorter than the other.

Gon's mouth falls open as does Kurapika's and Leorio's, Killua keeping a blank, watching face, while Tonpa's mouth is also slightly ajar before twisting into a smirk.

Leorio glares.

There is a close-up of Sedokan's face, a lazy smile seen. "...Decide which candle you want to use. Press O for the long one, or X for the short one. This will be determined by majority rule."

"We have to choose one?" Leorio asks, still shocked as are the others. His face scrunches angrily, "This is a trap! Normally, you'd choose the long one, so he must have done something to the long one!"

"That would be the safe assumption," Kurapika says, "But it might be a trick, and he's actually tampered with the short one."

"Ooh, the reverse psychology..." Killua coos, "Gotta give them kudos for the mind tricks. And time waste."

"When you put it like that..."

"Yes, there is no end..."

Tonpa sneers, "You've got a real dilemma there."

"You keep your mouth shut!" Leorio glares.

"Yeah, yeah." Tonpa shrugs, smug expression never leaving.

There is a zoom-in on Kurapika's focused face as he blinks. "When presented with a clearly uneven choice..."

A spotlight on a cute chibi animation of Kurapika and Leorio is shown, both sitting at a table with cards in their hands and a pile of cards facing up between them. Leorio leans over to take a card from Kurapika.

"...People become suspicious and hesitate before deciding..."

A pair of twos land on the pile. "Yes, this is a real dilemma." More pairs land until Kurapika is left with a joker and ace of spades and Leorio holds one card, frowning contemplatively.

"What's worse, if you make the wrong choice, the resulting mental anguish..." Chibi Kurapika presents the ace forwards with a grin. "...Would be much greater than if the problem had offered two fair options." Chibi Leorio takes the card that wasn't given to him and finds the joker as there is a failed buzzer sound and Chibi Leorio is left looking like this: ._.''' as he droops and Chibi Kurapika winks with a smug expression.

"Kurapika... do you imagine us as chibis?" Leorio whispers.

A faint pink spreads over Kurapika's face as he turns away. "No!!"