The Return

Suddenly, the air grew cold. A flash of metal caught the attention of those who knew what it signalled.

The return of the demons.

The portal disk flew around the group of skeletons, corralling them into a smaller area. The smarter ones didn't think to teleport, but Pale, not understanding nor caring what was going on, attempted to teleport out. Once outside the disk's orbit, he was met by a wall of fire. A humanoid stepped out of the flame-like portal that had appeared. The humanoid was clearly male, and wore a black, tailored suit, a maroon tie, and black loafers to match the suit. His dark hair was highlighted with flaming red and orange, giving it the impression it was a fire, crackling and almost... alive whenever the wind blew at it. His eyes were the same, dull maroon as his tie, and his expression gave nothing away save for boredom.

This was Derek, the fire demon.

"I would get back in with your... companions, if I were you," he spoke with a deep, melancholy tone befitting a businessman. Makes sense, right? He looks like one, sounds like one, acts like one... Nevertheless, it didn't faze Pale.

"And what if I don't?"

"Then you'll become reality's first char-broiled skeleton."

Pale remained where he was. Without a soul, he could not maintain fear. Solar watched as this happened, and quickly got the destroyer's attention.
"Pale! Get back here before you get killed! That's an order!"

Pale turned around at the mention of his name, and did as he was told. It hadn't sounded like his boss, but it wasn't in his nature to disobey a direct order. He stood next to Dream, completely missing the annoyed and concerned look Solar gave him. The rest of the group waited in nervous anticipation as Derek watched them. Criss was especially nervous.

"Hey bruh," Epic whispered to him. "What's with the man in black, bruh?"

"That's Derek," Criss hesitantly whispered back. "He is one of Baron's lackeys. He might look calm and harmless now, but don't be fooled. I know I was surprised when I first met that- that creature. If something gets him riled up, he'll rain hellfire down on the idiot who unleashes his rage."

Indeed, Derek's temper was like a living flame. If enough fuel is added, even the tiniest coals can spark a raging blaze as fierce as a gasoline fire. But once that fuel is used up, the fire returns to smoldering coals. He was one of the most unpredictable of the demons. And the edgiest, if I'm being honest.

Another portal appeared, and out stepped another humanoid. He wore a plain grey tee under a green, black and grey vest, ripped jeans, and neon green high tops to match the green streaks on his vest. Half his head was buzzed short, revealing brown hair, in contrast to the other half, which was the same vibrant green as his vest.

"-Ugh-, -why- -do- -I- -have- -to- -be- -here-?" the newcomer groaned, glitching a bit in annoyance. Yes, his body glitches like Error's. Come to think of it, the two are quite similar, in more than just appearance.

Derek, of course, did not respond. The newcomer rolled his piercing blue eyes and looked over at the prisoners. Dream lit up when he saw the newcomer, and waved cheerfully at him.
"Hello, Temerari!" he chirped.

Temerari sheepishly waved back, but immediately stopped when he realized Derek was staring at him with a disapproving glare. He crossed his arms and looked away, stealing a glance at the prisoners every now and then.

Suddenly, the portal disk encompassing the group spiraled up, then floated down, landing about twenty feet away.

Everyone held their breath.