Chapter 38

" So what can you see from up there ? " " I think Mia led us to the right place, I can feel her energy more here, she is close ! Clear out, I'm coming down. "

Richard jumped down from the tree he had climbed on and rolled on the ground. He then walked up to his horse and packed some pouches and knives onto his belt.

" From where I was I saw smoke, which means there are people and it's probably that old man. I'd say it would take us an hour or two to get there. " It's going to be dark by then. " " Perfect, this time I'm going to ambush him. " " You mean " we " . "" No boy, I'm going alone, you stay here and watch over Mia. " " Oh come on Rich' ! "" Rule number 1 ? " " Fuck your rules ! Let me come with you, this guy is dangerous ! "

Richard had a slight smirk.

" So am I. The decision is final, you stay here, I'll come back with Bella and we'll be alright. "

Konnor let out a loud sigh " And I'm the thick headed one here ? "

An hour had passed since Richard's departure, Mia was getting fidgety and pointed towards the forest.

" Rich ? " " We will stay here for now, this is the boss's orders ! He will be fine .. I think"

Mia started pouting at his inactivity. She walked over to him and started pulling on his vest.

" What do you want ? "

She pointed at the forest again.

" Rich ! " " He is gonna be ok, just sit down Mia. "

She then grabbed his face in her hands and images started flashing in his head, one of them was Richard getting an arrow in his throat. Once he was out of the vision, Mia stumbled backwards but remained upright, she had used quite a lot of energy to show him this. She then grabbed his shoulders and fixed her yellow eyes into his brown eyes.

" Richard, friend ! " " Ohh may the creator give me strenght .. alright . "

Konnor stood up and with the help of Mia put the saddle back on Richard's horse, they both mounted and started heading in the same direction.

" Let's go save the magic idiot. Yah !  "

Richard's senses were on edge the whole way there. Each step could lead him into a trap so he decided to not haste his progress and remain careful. Each time he would hear a branch crack he would stop dead in his tracks to listen to the sounds of the forest. The night had fallen when he reached the house, it was barely a house, more a put together shack that was livable. " Is it really his home ? Or a simple place to rest between his hunts ? ". Richard carefully approached the house and looked through the windows in search of the man. " No one, why wouldn't he be home so late in the day ? ". Richard circled back to the entrance door, he took his dagger out ready to breach inside. He slowly opened the door and snuck inside. The shack had a simple bed, a small table with a wooden stool, a fireplace with a pot and a few cupboards. " It does seem like someone lives here, the bed is undone and there are clothes hanging. ". He approached a non finished plate and hovered his hand on it. " It's cold. " He then walked over to the pot and touched it. " It was lit not long ago, whoever was in here left in a hurry, but why ? ". While crouched to look at the pot he noticed a small box under the bed, he pulled it out and laid it on the bed. Inside of it he discovered what looked like a journal and dried leaves. " That's interesting. " He turned a few pages and his eyes locked onto a specific part that left him in a state of surprise. Isabella's name was mentioned a few times, before he could read more of it he heard the string of a bow getting drawn behind him.