Chapter 23

Richard and Konnor had done half of the way to the castle when Konnor decided to break the silence.

" So why are we going there exactly ? "

" I have to collect my reward for the job I just came back from, but I plan to ask her to pay me double because as you can see I got hurt and the threat was higher than what it was supposed to be. "

" What was it ? Yesterday you said " a big bug " to lady Jessamine but that couldn't be just it right ? I saw what you can do and a simple bug could not have hurt you this badly. "

" Indeed young man, I believe you don't know what a Zenkab is ? "

The boy frowned his eyebrows.

" What's that ? "

" It's a race of giant insects, and their queen almost killed me during my last job, obviously I killed her." Richard paused " Also something else I need to ask of you, don't mention to anyone ever that I can do magic. Otherwise I would have to kill them and then kill you. "

" You don't have to tell me twice ! "

The rest of the road went by quickly as Richard explained the details of his last job to his friend.

They reached the castle a little before noon, they were spotted by the guards and stopped at the gate.

" State your business ! "

" I came to see the duchess, she gave me a task and I just completed it. Tell her Richard is here. "

The guard that asked the question started whispering at the other one next to him but they got interrupted by a powerful voice coming from the other side of the gate.

" Open the gate you idiots ! I know who this is. "

Right after this the gate was opened and Markok was on the other side already smiling at Richard. Richard got down from the horse and proceeded to salute the guard. Markok looked at him from head to toe.

" Well there friend, seems that witch gave you a run for your money eh ? "

" I wish it was the witch that did this to me. Can you take me to your lady ? "

" For sure ! But she is receiving a few important guests so you might have to wait a little bit. Follow me. "

Richard gave a sign at Konnor to follow. Before they entered the castle Markok whistle and Eixien came out running from inside.

" Yes mister ? "

" Take their horse and lead it to the stables, after that, join us in front of the meeting room of the lady. "

Eixien bowed his head and took the reins off the hand of Konnor to lead the horse away. The little group started walking along the many corridors of the building. Along the way Konnor was in awe of how rich this place was, the colored window, the purple curtains with golden strings. Even the ground looked rich, made out of azure and white tiles. They arrived in front of two doors that were made out of darkwood, on the right door was the profile of the duchess and on the left was the duc.

" You guys stay here, I'm going inside to make the lady aware of your arrival and when she is ready I will come get you, you can sit there ".

He pointed at a luxurious couch, Richard simply nodded and went to sit on it, Konnor followed him like his shadow. The boy was so impressed he had to whistle his astonishment.

" Damn this place is not cheap ! "

" It sure isn't. Listen to me, when we are in there, you don't speak and you don't move a muscle unless I say so "