Chapter 1

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Our story begins in a foreign land far far away in the northern countries. In a world where the mystical art is often practiced and kings and queens rule as gods. There was once a young girl, who lost everything because the world took it from her, so in return she took everything from the world.

Her name was Isabella Tsorf, she was a young woman working as an herborist in a secluded forest, often she would get visits from the people in the town nearby asking for some of her plants and ointments. People never stayed long as she was uncomfortable around pretty much everyone, that was the reason she chose to stay far from people, animals were easier to understand, animals don't lie or cheat, they simply follow their instincts. People were thinking she was an odd young woman " what is such a lovable looking lady doing alone in the woods without a man to even protect her from the creatures out there ? ". The woods were known to be the residence of many dangerous creatures, not your average wolf or bear but things much much worse. And there she was, pale woman, skin as clear as porcelain, hair as red as the brightest fire ever lit. Women were seething when their husbands could not stop looking at her, one of the many reasons women wouldn't want to stay too long in her presence either. But there was more to it than just her beauty, she had a secret. She was a witch, witches were common but she wanted to hide it, she didn't want to stand out more than she already did.

On a cold morning in the beginning of autumn, walking on her favorite path to collect herbs, she stopped to listen to the forest. A light breeze made her shiver a little bit but the feeling wasn't that annoying, the cold was a good sensation, to her it meant she was alive, she could feel. Letting the cold air in her lungs she kept focusing on her surroundings, leaves were falling on the ground around her, a stream nearby was slowly making its course down. Her eyes being closed she kept listening and when she opened her eyes she almost fell backward because she was surprised. A tall man in a hood with a bow and a quiver full of arrows was standing just a few feet away from her, " he wasn't there a few seconds ago, i didn't even hear him walk ". After collecting her thoughts she noticed he has a bag that seems full, after living so long in the forest her senses were sharp to catch the slightest of smells and this one was easy to recognize : blood.

" Sorry my lady I didn't mean to startle you I was just going back to the village with my catches " he said while bowing his head and lifting his hood up.

She was looking at the man's face, she couldn't quite tell how old he was, didn't seem far from her age, just had a rougher life. He had a slander build and while he spoke to her she understood why she could not hear him, it's as if he was barely touching the ground when taking a step. His short black hair was messy, she didn't understand why he was smiling so much. She was used to men smiling but not like this, other men had more of a grin or gaze of lust but his smile felt ... warm.

" No one ever comes to this part of the forest, the quickest way out is this way " she said as she snapped out of her observation and pointed to her left.

" Thank you milady, may i ask what you are doing in such a place and alone ? " he asked, tilting his head to the side.

" i'm just getting some mushrooms and herbs "

" oh you are the one herborist i keep hearing about ! Well it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance "

She didn't like him, he was way too nice, way too polite, she was suspicious of smiling men more than anything, she didn't return his salutation and walk right by him.

" I told you where to go, now I must get going, good bye " she said as she hope her dry attitude would just push him away.

" WAIT ! " he screamed " I don't even know your name ! "

She turned around and to her surprise he seemed really troubled by her

" Isabella "

A look of relief appeared on his face.

" Isabella " he repeated as if those words were a precious belonging to him. " I'm Richard, Richard Regeaj, i'll see you around Isabella "

" I hope not, " she said as she turned around to keep walking.

As she was walking down her usual path, she noticed she was smiling more than ever before.