xx.

Steve's mission took him out of town, and I spent a few days scouring the internet trying to find my calling. I also spent some time familiarizing myself with D.C.

I spent hours getting lost in the National Mall visiting all the museums and memorials. When I visited the Smithsonian I was surprised to see they would be opening up a new exhibit in a few days.

An exhibit dedicated to Steve.

I immediately sent him a text, not expecting a quick response.

Me: You didn't think to tell me the Smithsonian had an exhibit opening that is ALL ABOUT YOU?

He replied almost instantly.

Steve: It slipped my mind?

Me: You're shitting me right?

Steve: We've had more important things going on Wren.

Me: Well, we're going when it opens.

Steve: Do we have to?

Me: Absolutely.

Steve: As you wish.

I stopped mid-step when I read his response. We had watched The Princess Bride as part of his Pop-Culture catch up the other day. He had loved it (because it's a cinematic masterpiece and if he hadn't we would have had to break up) and him quoting it was making me majorly swoon.

Steve: I'll be home late tonight. We'll be back stateside in a few hours, but I've got debrief. Don't wait up.

Me: Ok. Can't wait. xx

With Steve coming home sooner than I thought, I stopped by the grocery store to stock up our fridge and finished up my day with a bowl of popcorn and reruns of Friends.

A few hours later, I went to sleep in our massive Super Soldier sized bed with an overweight cat crushing my insides. Honestly I think Moose sensed my anxiety about sleeping alone. I've come to rely on Steve to wake me when I'm having a nightmare, which I'm aware is borderline unhealthy. In the few weeks of living with Steve he's been gone a grand total of two nights, and both nights I spent tossing and turning.

Moose probably got sick of it and decided if he suffocated me, he wouldn't have to deal with being disturbed anymore. It IS much harder to toss and turn when 20lbs of feline is trapping you on your back.

I eventually passed into a semi-pleasant sleep, even though it was slightly difficult to breathe.

At some point during the night Moose's weight on my waist was replaced by a large muscular arm. The cat mewled with annoyance as he leapt from the bed. I turned in my half-sleep, snuggling against Steve's chest.

"You're home." I mumbled sleepily.

"I'm home." He replied, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead. His arm pulled me closer and I pressed my face into his chest, soothed by the rhythm of his heartbeat.

"How was the mission?" I asked my hands trailing down his sides, I felt goosebumps raise on his skin and smiled.

Steve hesitated before answering, "It was fine."

"You don't sound very convincing."

Steve sighed deeply and rested his chin on my head, "It's nothing really. Just—"

"Just what?"

"I don't know if I'm fighting for the right team anymore."

I pulled back, searching for his face in the darkness.