24 | Bunk Buddies

Dedicated to monique0912345

Christian

XXIV

Christian retrieved some of his newer clothes from the closet, wincing as he threw them onto his bed for Cyrus and Aiden.

The latter boy was standing next to the wall with his arms folded, observing every inch of his room while Cyrus was on the phone with 9-1-1.

"Okay thank you." He spoke into the line, hanging up the phone and shoving it into his back pocket. He met eyes with Christian, grabbing a t-shirt and throwing it over what remained of his own.

"They are sending a car to the house to check it out." Cyrus froze, a blank expression on his face. "What if they don't find anyone?"

Christian walked over and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Then they would find something that narrows down the list of suspects."

"You're right." Cyrus gave a small smile. "It'll be fine. Especially since that thing is gone and they don't have that spellbook. Speaking of, what are you going to do with it?"

"You mean what are we going to do with it." Christian gave a devious smile. "Once I find out what language it is in, we can see what else you can do."

Cyrus backed away unsure. "I barely got a hang of telekinesis and now there's apparently teleportation thrown in the mix. Do you want me to do more stuff? What next? Growing an extra head?"

True. Maybe Christian was a bit too excited. It wasn't every day you learnt that your best friend had magical powers. Cyrus caught a note of his faltered expression and sighed.

"Okay fine. If it helps me get control and no one gets hurt then we can try. But not tomorrow." He gave in to Christian's curiosity.

"What's tomorrow?" Christian tried to remember.

"Hazel's memorial at the school."

Immediately, Christian thought of how awkward that ceremony was going to be. Rowan hadn't even mentioned it once. Was Cyrus ready for that? He seemed to be doing better but Christian feared everything might come crashing down, especially with both him and Rowan being in the same room.

"Okay I should go before aunt Rose gets worried," Cyrus stated. Luckily the shirt he had on, hid most of the dry blood sticking to his skin. All that was visible were his messy hair and his inability to walk without groaning.

Cyrus turned to Aiden one last time, looking between him and Christian. "You sure you're okay with him staying here?"

"It's fine Cyrus."

Unless I get burned alive in my sleep of course.

He nodded in response, closing the door behind him on the way out. It left the room in a thick silence instantly. Christian's throat dried in response, lost for what to say but Aiden didn't seem to have the same problem, breaking the quiet with ease.

"I have no problem going back to the station, you know," he said.

Christian ignored him, noticing the same blank expression remained on the boy's face almost all day. The only time it faltered and genuine emotion broke through was when they saw the spirit of his mother. Right before he had to destroy her of course. How was he so calm after all of that?

She might have tried to hurt them but at the end of the day, she was still his mother. Maybe if Christian thought of it differently he could help Aiden feel better. It could have been a case of her waiting for them to put her out of her misery. No, he couldn't assume that. They didn't have time to do anything else though. If the situation were to repeat itself, he would choose Cyrus and Aiden's life over the creatures but that wouldn't mean he would be happy about it.