Part VIII

(Reader's POV)
-----

Next day rolled around and I had a good night's rest for once. Probably since that thing wasn't around to terrorize me. I slept in just because I felt like it.

"Big Boss and the rest were arrested for sure...I can't save them. Scar told me to just forget about them but how can I? They were the only people who cared for me..."

Memories of the past months came flooding back. The smiles, the jokes, the heists... He was right, though. It was for the best. He always told me that he had planned to leave the gang once he turned 40.

He told me it was because he didn't like the thieving but he really loved being apart of the family as he was an orphan. Probably the reason why he took me in so willingly, seeing as I didn't have any known family to speak of.

I got up and got ready for the day (Though it was past mid-day). I walked into the city, pickpocketing people as I passed them on the street. I'd bump into them on purpose and take something and apologize afterwards like nothing happened.

It was a skill I learned over time from different members of the gang, each of them helped me to hone this skill until it was perfect.

For just this afternoon, I have collected two watches, three cell phones, two wallets and a fancy looking hand mirror, plus some cash.

I went to that certain abandoned subway where Nails usually had his shop set up. I walk down the steps, expecting to see it empty. "Holy shit, Nails?" I didn't expect to see him standing behind the stall, he was at the celebration party after all.

"Hunter!" The elderly man greeted and happily waved at me. "Oh my, I was sure you were caught along with the others during the raid. It was awful..." He said sympathetically.

"Yeah...how did you escape?"
"I wasn't there. I got so drunk, Kami told me to go home early." He let out a wheeze as he laughed. "You old man, y'know you're not supposed to be drinking like you're young... So she's okay then too?"
"Uh no... After that, she stayed behind. I have no idea if she actually did make it out."
"Oh..."

He noticed how dejected I looked and quickly changed the subject. "Ah w-well like I said, I don't know if she went back after taking me home! So she might be somewhere lying low like you! Anyway, I'm assuming you've got something you'd like to pawn?"
"Oh yeah," I sifted through my satchel and handed him my haul.

He let out a low whistle as he examined the goods, "When did you get this?"
"Just this morning. I got it on my way here."
"Ah, of course. Didn't expect less from the Cunning Hunter. I'll be sure to get these sold for the best deal." He winked at me. I smiled,
"Thanks, Nails."
"Anytime, Hunter!"

I left the subway and made my way to the ramen store for breakfast. I was interrupted when I heard a commotion down the street. "Hm?"

I spotted a woman having a very loud conversation with a kid maybe a little younger than me, "It's children like you that make their parents look bad!"

"Dafuq?"

I wandered over, blending into the crowd. She was clearly making a scene, probably over something dumb. She eventually even started screaming at the poor kid.

"All he did was run past her. He didn't even touch her, she just stepped back and started yelling..." I heard someone whisper.

'A fucking Karen...'

After the kid apologized for doing absolutely nothing, the woman turned her nose upwards and marched away. The crowd was definitely on the kid's side as they booed at her.