NINETEEN

Stretching out my arm, I blindly reach for my phone and tap the screen to see that it's just a little after two in the morning and groan quietly

Stretching out my arm, I blindly reach for my phone and tap the screen to see that it's just a little after two in the morning and groan quietly. I don't find myself crying as often over my failed marriage anymore but adequate sleep seems to be a problem these days. Sitting up in the bed, I rake my fingers through my hair to push the loose strands back into the bun that sits on the top of my head and stare out at the twinkling Eiffel Tower outside of Jimin's window. My stomach growls, a loud indication that I didn't eat as much dinner as I should have, and I slip out of bed and slide into my slippers that rest on the floor.

Quietly opening the bedroom door, I do my best to not disturb Jimin sleeping on the couch. I had offered to have him take back his bed and his room but he denied stating that he wouldn't be able to sleep comfortably knowing I was on the couch instead of him. Seeing him crack his back most mornings makes me feel guilty for having such a soft mattress to lay on at night but I can only argue so much with the sweet stubborn man.

Walking past the living room, I keep my eyes focused on my feet as if it will keep my footsteps quiet. It wasn't until I reached the entryway to the kitchen that I look up and open up the fridge in search of some strawberries as an easy late-night snack to tie me over until morning.

"Sneaking around at night again?" Jimin quietly speaks up from right behind me, sitting on the counter, and I damn near drop the container of fruit but catch it before it can hit the floor.

"Holy shit!" I whisper-shout as my right hand comes to rest on my chest, "Don't do that!"

Chuckling, he takes another sip of his water, "Oops. Couldn't sleep either?"

Shaking my head, I place my snack of choice onto the counter next to him. "How come you couldn't sleep?"

"Thinking about a lot of things," he states as he watches me take a bite.

Licking the juice from my bottom lip, I peer up at him. "Things like what?"

"Hm," he tilts his head. Looking away, he stares out into the dark abyss that's barely lit from the moonlight outside of the sliding glass door. "The launch party in a few days, friends and family back home..." He looks back down at me as I place another strawberry between my lips, "...you."

"Me?" I swipe the corner of my lip with my thumb, "Why me?"

"For one, I worry if you're really okay and two," he reaches out and wipes a bit of juice I must have missed with his index finger, "you're always on my mind anyway." Licking away the sweetness now collected on his digit, he gives me a soft smile.

My heart constricts and I thickly swallow down the bite I had just finished chewing as I continue to meet his impossibly alluring gaze. Not knowing what to say, I take another bite and hope that he can't sense the excited nervousness he makes me feel. The heat from his thighs radiates from him as I remain a mere step away from being in between them, and oh how tempting that thought is.